Saturday, November 18, 2023

Last of the stars

 Hi all! How have you been? I have been very, very busy. I know, who could've guessed, what with the end of the year (or at least the semester) in sight? I did manage to finish off my niece's quilt, which turned out great, but I think she should see it first, don't you? Oh, and did you realize that Thanksgiving is next week? Yikes!

Before all the panic-cooking sets in, here are the final four stars for my RSC quilt this year. I'm a little behind, but my intentions are good, and the stars are pretty. Have a look:


 
As you can see, there are more leaves. I've decided to just let them be. It's a losing battle, and they'll break down. But let's talk about these stars! Aren't they cute?



I had cut the fabrics for the last two aqua stars, so I stitched those up and I'm pretty pleased with them. I *love* the aqua one in the picture above. I also added another yellow star because I like yellow and it adds a little more sparkle. The yellow is yet another Ohio Star variation, but it's different from all the others.


My one disappointment with the stars project is that I didn't make a true Lemoyne Star. The two above are kind of approximations of a Lemoyne Star. I don't really know what happened there. I tried one way back at the beginning but totally messed it up, and then I'm pretty sure I messed up the paper pieced version, too. Maybe I'll give it one more go and replace one of the stars I don't like. They're not all winners, after all.



For the sashing, I decided on this Riley Blake fabric called Blossom, which I still have just enough of. I've used it a couple of times and I really wish I had more of it. It makes such nice backgrounds and sashing, and I'm pretty sure it's going to make a great complement to all the colors in the stars.



That's pretty much all I accomplished after I finished my niece's gift. I also made some flannel blankets for her and a bunch of other stuff. I made sure to get some beauty shots, though, so once she gets her gift I will show it off to you all. It was an adventure!

So, happy weekend, everyone. I hope you get some rest and relaxation before the big holiday. I'll leave you with what might be the best nature picture I've ever taken. My son came to visit from Maine, and I took this while waiting for him in the cell phone lot (of all places!):


Finally-- Cathy, if you're reading this, we are all thinking of you! Best wishes!
 
Sharing at soscrappy for RSC23

13 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Your star blocks are beautiful! I can't wait to see them all together. The fabric you've chosen for sashing will be perfect!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Stars are always a winner. Wonderful colors in the silhouette photo!

Sara said...

I hope your Thanksgiving is a good one, with plenty of relaxation time. Love every one of those sweet stars, and that sashing fabric is just perfect.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your star blocks, Mari! You must have quite a collection of different ones by now. Looking forward to seeing how this quilt comes together. Happy Thanksgiving!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

enjoy your holiday break I'm sure you need it!! love the blocks

Kate said...

Your star blocks all turned out beautifully. I really like that red one in your last photo. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing up those blocks (and capturing that fantastic cell lot photo, Mari!!) I'm all for getting some rest before the upcoming Great Cooking Holiday. In preparation, I slept NINE HOURS last night, which is completely unheard of lately!!!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hi Mari, Your Sunburst quilt in that setting...magnificent! Those colours are all stunning together.
These star blocks are so lovely as well. What a wonderful quilter you are!!

LA Paylor said...

so many stars so little time Love your confetti fabric with these too. Your setting at your porch is so pretty Mari.
Happy Thanksgiving you good woman!
LeeAnna

JanineMarie said...

Such pretty stars, and your sashing fabric. You always pick out the perfect fabrics with sprinkles of color. I’m looking forward to seeing your gift quilt. Have a fun break and holiday with your family. Oh, and I think that gorgeous photo at the end should be color inspo for a quilt.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sometimes the best nature shots happen just like yours did - because we were paying attention and noticed! Congrats on finishing the stars - the LeMoyne is one of my LEAST favorite stars so I wish you well with yours.

Bernie Kringel said...

I love that background fabric. I think it might be around if you hunt for it. I found some but with a pure white background here.

https://www.pineneedlesonline.com/shop/FABRIC/BASICS/Blossom--by-Christopher-Thompson-for-Riley-Blake-Designs/p/C730-Rainbow-Blossoms-on-White-x69143893.htm

Anyway, lovely stars, glad your kiddo came to visit and happy happy Thanksgiving Mari!!!

Susie H said...

Your stars just sparkle so much, Mari!! Your niece is sure to love the quilt. What perfect sashing fabric to show off those stars. Our lawn tractor broke down so all the leaves at the back of our property will have to wait until Spring when we get a replacement. I love Fall and, if keeping the leaves on the ground is how it is, then my favorite season will last that much longer!