Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Positively grateful

 Hi everyone! Well, here we are, post-Thanksgiving and heading fast for December. Does this surprise anyone else? We had a lovely, relaxed holiday with tons of good food, even though my granddaughter demanded ketchup for her turkey, and video chats with everyone after dinner. The day after Thanksgiving I ate some pie and then got a screaming migraine that lasted two days. So, you know, bad with the good.

I planned to finish up photographing today's quilts on Friday but was busy moaning in a dark room, so today is the day! These are the two quilts I made for the Positivity quilt along from our friends Preeti and Bernie. I am really happy with how they turned out, even though the quilt along ended on Labor Day and I'm really behind. Oh well! Take a look at these lovelies:


They are very different, but kind of the same, and I'm so pleased with both of them. Let's talk about them one at a time, shall we?


I was going for neutral on both of these quilts and I'm not sure I achieved it, but the hubs was quite appreciative of the green quilt. I had to put those plants in pots, you know? It added a little zing to a quilt that was essentially two colors. If you look closely, you'll see that I used the same fabric as the pots for the binding.
 
 
I quilted the green quilt in a 2-inch cross hatch using a green-brown thread. I thought it might be too dark, but it was perfect. About a quarter of the way through it occurred to me that 2 inches was a little small for the cross hatch and I could have gone bigger (and therefore faster) but I was committed so I finished it that way. It might be a little close, but I think it turned out well.


The fall leaf/ neutral quilt was super simple, just straight(ish) lines across the quilt. It was fast and satisfying. In the picture it looks like there are a few wrinkles, but I promise there are no tucks. One thing with straight lines -- when you get close to the ends of the quilt, things start to wrinkle up, no matter how well you've basted. I ended up hand basting the ends to keep it all flat. It was tedious but it worked. I bound it in a nice fall-like golden brown.


For the green quilt I used a green leaf batik backing, which looks great. The neutral quilt was more difficult, but I managed to find enough of a cream print for the back. I think it contrasts nicely with the front but still blends well.

And then finally, here they are, all in their just-washed crinkly goodness:


These two are now packed up and ready for a postal pickup to go on their way to the palliative care unit at Mercy Hospital. I'm glad to have contributed a tiny bit to someone's comfort, and I'm extra pleased that I managed to get them both completed before the end of the year. Yay me!

Hope everyone has a wonderful week. If you feel a headache coming on, I highly recommend lying down on a nice comfy piece of furniture with something nice to drink. It could get you through the week! See you in December!



Sharing at Finished or not Friday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag About Your Beauties, and the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting, Patchwork, Applique.

13 comments:

greaterexp said...

Great quilts! I've never done straight line quilting, but I appreciate the warning about things tending to wrinkle up toward the end.
I'm so sorry about your migraine. There is never a good time for one, but holidays are the worst, certainly. I had them so often until menopause took care of the bulk of them. I hope yours get fewer and further between.
Thanks for posting your terrific quilts!

Sara said...

Both are absolutely beautiful. The green is really fun. I didn't get one made in spite of good intentions. The pattern is a fun one!

Kate said...

Both quilts turned out beautifully. I like both, it's hard to pick a favorite. Love the brown pots, that works so well! So sorry you got a migraine after the holiday. Hopefully that's your allotment for the year. Happy stitching this week.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So glad you had a lovely, Thanksgiving, Mari, but sorry to hear you were rewarded with a migraine. That's no fun! Your Positivity quilts are beautiful - I love that you used the blocks with your own design ideas. These are going to give someone lots of comfort! You're inspiring me to get my blocks out and keep going on them!

shoshu said...

both quilts are really beautiful, calm and alive at the same time thank you for sharing

piecefulwendy said...

It's quite unfair that you enjoy a slice of pie and get rewarded with a migraine. I'm glad that is behind you. Both quilts finished up nicely! Those pots still make me smile, a clever twist to the design! What a great way to wrap up the year!

Kathleen McCormick said...

Do you think the pie caused the migraine or was it just a coincidence? Love your versions of the positivity quilt and the addition of the pots was a fabulous idea. It doesn't matter the timeline when these charities get them, they are always grateful.

Bernie Kringel said...

Migraines - Yuk! Sorry to hear it Mari. I had one last week as well but it wasn't long lasting so that was nice.
These quilts are wonderful. Putting the pots on the one quilt is so clever! It makes me think of the Saguaro plants. I really love it. Both are much appreciated and as Kathleen said, no problem you didn't make the timeline of the QAL, Mercy always wants your amazing quilts. Have a wonderful day Mari.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wonderful quilts, both of them!!

Susie H said...

Great job, Mari. I love seeing two quilts using the same/same-ish design with totally different looks. Sorry to hear you suffer with migraines. I hope you don't get them often and that by now you've recovered 100%. Have a good weekend!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing up these fraternal twin quilts, Mari! What a wonderful donation.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

They are BOTH fabntastic!!! I really like that idea of the green one - and the pots - such a great addition!!
They will be loved SO much!!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Wow, these two turned out to be stunning didn't they! Love the setting for the photos too. Very sorry to hear about the migraine...not good.Take care now!