Saturday, November 4, 2023

Blue and yellow sunburst

 Hi everyone! So here we are in November, all of a sudden. Wasn't it just September? I can't keep track, except that it's definitely cooled off and we even had a freeze the other night. And it really is dark when I get home, so we must be slouching towards winter. As long as the snow holds off for a bit more, I think we'll be okay.

So, it isn't Friday, but I do have a finish. I know, it's like I'm breaking a rule! But I finally got pictures taken yesterday so why wait? Have a look:


Okay, that is a very bright quilt top! Maybe we shouldn't look at it head on. I don't know if you can see it on your monitor (or phone) but there are some of the diagonals in the corners are a pale yellow. It's really kind of pretty.


I started this as a wedding quilt for a friend, but we all know I wasn't going to make it in time for the wedding, right? And then we had family drama and trauma, so I ended up giving the happy couple a different quilt, which they totally loved. That left me with a half-finished quilt top, which I have now finished off.


Somebody is going to have to rake up all those leaves! This quilt top is about 60 by 72, a really nice size for a couch quilt. I did strip piece much of it, though it was complicated by the half square triangles. I managed, and I do think the triangles add a lot to it. I actually started with split 9 patches as a beginning design point before I ended up twisting and turning things around.


I'm pretty proud of the yellow gradations in this quilt. Have you ever tried a yellow gradation? It is not easy, but I managed it. It was actually fun to play around with, and now I have some more yellows on the shelves. And more yellow scraps, which is always nice! I'm happy to say, too, that those dark blues are all used up. Thank goodness!


This lovely is headed for the closet to age properly while I search for a backing and figure out how to get it quilted up. In the meantime, you can see what my outdoor job to burn off stress is going to be!

I'll end this up with a picture of the hill behind our house, which was in all kinds of fall glory. The sun shining through was just wonderful. Hope you all have a great weekend! I'm having lunch with some friends, then maybe tackling those leaves. And sleeping in for an extra hour Sunday-- fabulous! Just what I need!


Sharing at Finished or not Friday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag About Your Beauties, and the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting Patchwork Applique

15 comments:

Jo said...

It’s a lovely fresh quilt. The yellow is very pretty.

Julie in GA said...

This is gorgeous! Blue and yellow together are one of my favorite color combinations.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Mari, that's beautiful quilt! I see the yellow gradations and love them - the blue, too. Are you keeping this one now that you've given a different quilt as a wedding gift? I would be tempted to!

Sara said...

I'm not sure which is more stunning - that blue and yellow quilt, or the scenery behind it. Wow! Of course I have a weakness for blue and yellow as those are the school colors for SDSU Jackrabbits.

That is a fabulous layout, and those HST really made the difference.

piecefulwendy said...

Come January or February, when we are all tired of the winter, that quilt will need to be posted again with all it's happy color! The views of your autumn yard are lovely. Happy leaf raking!

Susan said...

Beautiful quilt. It just glows.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Blue and yellow is just the nicest combination. Yellows are tough to show up, but you did an awesome job pairing them up. Too bad about the drama, the quilt is vibrant.

Vicki in MN said...

Oh that is a gorgeous quilt, it's blue and yellow what's not to love!! I sure hope I can actually sleep for the extra hour instead of laying awake!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh my, what a fabulous quilt top, Mari!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a stunning quilt top! You handled the yellows really well. As to the leaves - they are falling like crazy here, too - although we have fewer large trees than you do. Don't try to rake them all in one day!

Susie H said...

Beautiful quilt top. Love the asymmetric design. Looks like love Fall color in your neighborhood. I'd come help you rake leaves if I lived closer. I love raking, gathering, and then getting rid of them. Makes the yard look pretty again!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Lovely bright quilt top and great design.

Kate said...

Wow! Love the yellows and blues, it definitely shines!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You rule breaker - finishing before a Friday haha!!
I LOVE this one - that light yellow just make everything radiate!!
Great job!!!

Preeti said...

Such a gorgeous finish, Mari. Looks like sun peeking through the clouds. Or a bonfire on the beach. But truly, whenever I see blue and yellow, I think of Ukraine. Sadly, the sign of our times. Thinking of you and your family this Thanksgiving. Have a sew joyful week.