Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Another round for the house

 Hello everyone! Happy Wednesday! Halfway through the week, so everything after this is heading for the weekend. It is very loud here at my house right now. They are finally fixing the floor after our roof leak and there is a lot of pounding. There are four guys here and they all have hammers or nail guns. I know it will be worth it, but I really need somewhere to hide.

I have put another round on my stay at home round robin! This is a project by Quilting Gail and friends, and I think this is its third year. It's my third year, anyway. Here is the current status of my project:



Okay, it's looking better than I thought it would! I usually have no confidence in how things will turn out when I start them, other than 'that might be pretty.' This week's prompt was 'square in a square blocks,' and you can see mine right there in the corners. I started with the ships in the center and I'm pretty happy so far with how the rounds are turning out. And I'm really happy that those ships are getting used in something! I had so many ideas for them, but none actually came to pass, so I'm happy they are being used here.



Last week's prompt was triangles, but I really thought I had enough triangles in this little quilt already. Instead I added the golden yellow spacers to the top and bottom and decided to use the star fabric for whatever the next round was. The stars were left over from another backing, so so far everything here is a leftover or scrap. The blue square in a square blocks made great cornerstones and they also go nicely with that pretty yellow. 



At this point, my little quilt measures 42 inches square. Wait, what? How did that happen? I don't know, but here we are. There are two more rounds to go, so I think I will end up with a very nice toddler quilt, perfect for donation. 

Whatever the next prompt is, I'm ready! Hope your week is going well, and I hope the hammering is done soon. Then I will have a floor again!

Sharing at Songbird Designs for the SAHRR.

15 comments:

Kate said...

Sometimes simple is best, the borders make a nice frame and resting place before the next round of borders.

Sara said...

I'm really loving how this is coming together. So cute!!!

lynn said...

This is great. Anything related to the sea, and I am in. Great job!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I think square in a square blocks make great cornerstones! Those white background strips with the colorful plusses and stars (or maybe they are tiny flowers?) are pretty, too. Your SAHRR is coming right along, Mari!

Susie H said...

Sweet, sweet, sweet! A little sailor will love it!

Bernie Kringel said...

Very sweet Mari. I like the yellow borders you added. It is all coming together nicely and is going to be a super cute child's quilt.

JanineMarie said...

Now I feel like the sun has come out on those plucky sailors. And maybe twinkly stars at night. I'm sure they aren't rainbow snowflakes, but wouldn't that be a cruise! Seriously though, this quilt looks so "put together" despite your lack of confidence. That really might be pretty! I like the effect of the frame from the last two rounds.

grammajudyb said...

It’s so so cute! It will make a great toddler quilt!

piecefulwendy said...

Isn't it fun to see how the quilt grows with each border? It's such a happy quilt, with all those cheerful colors!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Glad to hear that your floor is being finished, Mari, in spite of all the noise the task is causing. Your SAHRR is coming along SEW swimmingly! I'm particularly impressed that everything has been made from leftovers or scraps. Well done!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is wonderful! It's going to make a great toddler quilt :)

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

This is looking awesome, Mari! Thanks for joining in with us!

Kathleen said...

I love the way this looks! I think the cornerstones are perfect and any toddler would be so happy with this quilt.

Millie Quilts said...

I love your sailboats. I made some quilts with those boats a long time ago.

Preeti said...

Regardless of what that rodent said, it is still winter and your quilt with its fluttering sails screams summer. Oh yes, please! Hope you got some rest before the work week began.