Friday, February 9, 2024

Still brown, but bright

 Hello all! How was your week? We had a decent week here. The weather has been more like spring than winter, though you can see from the pictures that we still have that winter landscape. I am really starting to long for spring, even though we have not had a very harsh winter. We're starting to get longer days, though, and the extra light is making me happy. I am looking forward to some serious sunshine not so long from now.

And in this still-brown winter landscape I have a very green quilt to show off! It's a bright spot, that's for sure. Take a look:


Is that not bright and happy? And scrappy as all get out, too.


I made this quilt last year during the purple month for the rainbow scrap challenge at Angela's blog. Just about every bit of it, including the backing, is a leftover or a scrap. I started out with the plan to use up all those leftover purple 4-patches. Long ago, I started to make Bonnie Hunter's En Provence pattern and instead ended up finishing it (much later) as THIS quilt. But it's the quilt project that keeps on giving, because this is the fourth quilt that has used up the pieces that I made for that quilt. Gosh I hope all those pieces are gone now!


If you notice, the green in the current quilt is the leftovers from the backing of the main quilt. I had to stitch some bits together to get it all to work, but it did work! I love this green and I think it works so well with those purple 4 patches. The backing is the final pieces of backings left over from other projects. I did cut the binding from a half yard I had, mainly because I was feeling too lazy to piece one together from scraps. Ah, well.


This was quilted in a nice swoopy design by Alycia, who did a great job, as always. It just ties all those weird bits together in a really nice way. Her blog is really interesting, too.

See that blue tarp on my neighbor's roof? A tree fell on it and there is a ton of damage, as you can tell from the size of the tarp.

So that's my bright spot in a brown, dreary February! I love how this turned out and am happy to have used up those purple 4-patches at long last. Now I can stop feeling guilty about them! That's as good a reason as I've ever heard for making a quilt.

Hope everyone has a lovely, relaxing weekend. I hope I do, too! I'll be packing up stuff and moving furniture so that we can finally have the floors repaired after the roof leak in December. I can't wait!



Sharing at Finished or Not Friday, Brag About Your Beauties, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, and Quilting, Patchwork, Applique.

15 comments:

ButterZ said...

Great finish. Purple and green look beautiful together. Well done.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

some color to brighten up winter

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

LOVE this one!!! The combination of colors is awesome!! and you are right - a total bright spot!!! Glad the days are getting longer - makes my whole day better

Kate said...

Love the green and purple! Congrats for using up all those leftovers. Hope you still manage to get some stitching time in even with all the furniture moving this weekend.

Auntie Em said...

What a great way to incorporate so many shades of purple. They play very nicely together.

Sara said...

That's a fun quilt, and really does brighten up the drab landscape. I used my En Provence parts for at least 3 different quilts too. My purple 4-patches were the last ones, and became a baby quilt, which still needs quilting. You're inspiring me to get it done!

We have brown and frozen too with a few dirty snow piles remaining. My least favorite kind of winter.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

A bright and happy quilt for this time of year for sure. Congratulations on the finish and I hope the floor repairs go quickly.

time4stitchn said...

Hooray for using up some leftover blocks to make a springy quilt. I like your original En Provence quilt as well. I have a few leftover blocks to use up. Getting things done certainly gives you a warm feeling all over. Celebrate!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is really pretty, Mari! I love the lime green and different purples together. Your quilt definitely brightened up the February landscape - great finish!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Such happy colors. Perfect project when winter is feeling far too long.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love this color combo, and this is so satisfying to use only scraps and orphan blocks! Your quilt is bright and gorgeous!
Thank you for sharing your beautiful finish!

MissPat said...

Congratulations on using the leftover blocks. I actually finished En Provence, but I do have blocks from Frolic (I think it was called) which I abandoned. I'm not even sure I made enough blocks to do anything with. Long forgotten. I stopped doing Bonnie mysteries at that point. I noticed tonight that the sun was still above the horizon at 5:15. Spring will get here eventually.
Pat

Nann said...

I'm partial to lime and lime-ish green, plus lime-and-purple. It's great to be able to use up the units from another project in a completely different -- and eyecatching -- way!

Susie H said...

That truly is a bright spot on a dreary day. Lovely finish, Mari. The quilt AND all the En Provence parts! Lol!

piecefulwendy said...

Gosh, I've missed a few of your posts! I love this quilt, with all that pretty citron and purple dancing over the top! What fun!