Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Bits and pieces

Wow, where has the day gone? Don't know, but it's 88 degrees and I'm blaming the heat for the time getting away from me.

There is a lot going on in the sewing room here, but little of it is fit for pictures. Everything is in pieces, some of them on the floor, and other things are in piles. The only thing that is really done are a few more blocks for the Loyal Union Sampler:


These were hard to photograph! I like them, though. Only one more block and I'm done with the February blocks. At this rate, this quilt will be done sometime in the next two years or so. They're only 6 inch blocks, so the pieces are small and some of them are very fiddly (if you know what I mean).

I'm also working on the triangle quilts. The center of the fields and furrows is done and now I have to work out some borders. Thankfully, there's a lot of fabric left for that. Then there is this one:


I keep calling this 'exploding triangles,' so the first thing to do is come up with a better name. I like the orange cornerstones with the aqua triangles, and I need to add another color, but I'm not sure what to add. I was thinking of lime green, or maybe yellow. I better decide soon, because I want to be done with this.

The other thing I'm working on (when I get bored with the triangles) is adding the sashing to the Dancing Nines blocks. They go quickly, so I already have a nice stack.


I'm already trying to figure out borders for this one too. I think there is a print with larger cherries, so I'm planning to look for that.

That's what's happening here! Lots of mess, and lots of progress, but not a lot that can be photographed  easily.

Finally, the red daylily has bloomed at last!


It's a good month late. I think even the plants are confused by our weird weather.

Happy sewing to everyone this week! Linking up with Linky Tuesday and Fabric Tuesday. Go check them out!

4 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Gorgeous day lily! Mine have quit blooming; I don't think they get enough sun and the ones that do get eaten by the deer!

My first thought on the extra color for the exploding triangles was yellow, even before I finished reading your comment

Leo said...

The pink and green combination is great - I don't usually go for pink, but I'm s sucker for green and I have to admit the contrast of green and pink really owrks well .. the one block on the right top corner is missing a bit of green in my book ... but again that's me
I like the statement of getting it done some time in the next 2 years ... I have a Famer's wife quilt that has about the same speed - snails would win the race ..

The colours of the trinagle quilt remind me of one of the quilts I'm working one .. I had to think of an exotic holiday place, the white is the beach, the blue the sea (like on those glossy holiday prospects) and the red are the corals in a reef ... A border - that's always tricky if you don't want to go solid/unpieced - I can't think of anythign at the moment - I thought about somethign circle-ish as a contrast, but then that woudl draw attention away form all the HSTs in the centre

Your dayily is gorgeous - though I do get itchy fingers to pull out the weeds ... sorry but I'm a bit of a gardening nut - I actually can spend hours contently pulling weeds, it's like meditating

PaintedThread said...

The block pattern of the all pink and white block is really neat. All slightly wonky. I may have to try that one!

I like your color choice on the dancing nines blocks. That will look stunning once it's all together!

Anonymous said...

.....so exactly how many projects do you have in process?? I don't think I could keep it all straight! I really like the pinks and greens. Great combination.

Thanks again for the no-reply info. I am hoping I have it corrected. Want to give it a try and see if all is fixed?

Thanks so much :-)