Friday, July 18, 2014

Red blocks

It has been a disappointing week for finishes here, folks. Probably because I keep sitting on the sofa watching movies and eating Lemon Oreos instead of actually working on anything.

Ha,ha! Of course I'm kidding. I'm really cleaning the basement and garage. Fun times.

I did manage to finish a couple of things. First, there were these babies:


These are the triangle blocks for my RSC14 quilt. Red and white always look so happy together, don't you think? I also did the cutting for the Odd Fellow's blocks, but haven't assembled them yet. I'm not sure I'll keep the polka dotted block on the left. Looks a little too "Raggedy Ann" to me.

I also made up one test block for the Dancing Nines quilt:

This block is much straighter than it looks in pictures!
I think I like it. I chose the more open cherry fabric as the sashing. The more packed cherry fabric is very nice, but I like the look of this better. Not to worry! I'm sure the rejected fabric will get used somewhere. I was worried about the width of the sashing because my blocks are smaller than those in the pattern, and I ultimately cut the sashing 1 1/4 rather than 1 1/2 inches. It's a little bit, but it made a big difference to me. I have enough 9 patches for 20 of these blocks, and plenty of leftover cuts if I decide to make more for a few more blocks.

Finally, our cool and wet summer has had some good side effects:


This astilbe hasn't bloomed in years (literally), but has tons of flowers right now. I forgot how pretty the blooms are! I think I even forgot what color it was supposed to be, but I'm loving it right now.

I want to take just a second here at the end of the post to say how much I appreciate all the comments people have been leaving on this little blog. It's very gratifying! I try to answer every one (sometimes a couple of days later because life gets in the way).  If you are a no-reply blogger, please know that I appreciate your comments too, but sometimes can't find you online to reply.

Thanks for stopping by, and everyone enjoy your summer weekend!

Linking to Sarah, Amanda Jean, and Angela -- stop by their link-ups for lots of happy inspiration! (Or some fun time-wasting. Either way!)

16 comments:

Ramona said...

Wow! I forgot all about my Astilbe! It hasn't bloomed in years either. Your red and white HST blocks are great. I was just looking back at a some previous posts on your blog and LOVE your Vin Du Jour quilt. The fabric choices, quilting and design are wonderful!

Shauna said...

love the red and white block, and you're right those colors just look good together. The dancing nine patch is cool, I can't wait to see a full quilt done in it.

Terri said...

Yes, red and white! A classic combo. Love your offerings. I'd keep the Raggedy Ann. She will get lost in the 20 and help you finish earlier.
Love your flowers, so unusual!
Thanks for sharing with us. I always enjoy your blog.
Hugs

Anonymous said...

Having seen a few of your posts on the RSC14 project, I am debating starting this and seeing if I can catch up. I am also doing the BOM that was started by Aurifil but it is fun to do a block each month for an on-going project. Yours is going to be so pretty when it is all put together.

Astilbe - I totally forgot about this pretty flowering plant. I used to have some at our previous house. May need to plant some at this home as well. Very striking!

Marly said...

Lovely red blocks; I like the polka dot, but perhaps the photo hides something.
I had astilbe in my north-facing garden (when I had a garden) and it did really well - shade all year and heavy delta soil. Perhaps the failure of yours in other years is due to its location in the garden.

Kathy S. said...

Love your red HST blocks. I especially love the way you photograph them. Someday I'll learn how to take interesting pictures. Keep up the good work.

Karen said...

I love two color blocks. Yours are beautiful.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Can't go wrong with high contrast two color blocks. Your astilbe looks gorgeous! It apparently loves the cool wet weather we are having this summer.

Edith said...

Love the little bits of red AND the purple flowers.

scraphappy said...

Your red and black look so fresh and modern together. I'm sure the dotty block will look just fine once it is sewn into a quilt. So many pretty reds. I vote for the couch with Oreos over cleaning any day -- but I hop you enjoy the results if not the process.

Deb A said...

I agree about keeping the red dotted one - it will add a sparkle in the final quilt. Pretty astibe - I have only seen the red and pink and white ones. A lovely shade you have in your yard.

Quilting Stories said...

Hi Mari! I love your red and white blocks!Bicolor quilts are always so smart! Greetings from Greece!

Nell's Quilts said...

The black cherry fabric just makes those dancing nines dance. I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who hasn't had much time for sewing because of the cleaning/organizing bug. Feels good when it's done.

Nell's Quilts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KatieQ said...

I really like the Dancing Nine Patch block. The red and white triangle blocks look great. I actually like the polka dot one. I'm a sucker for anything with dots.

Sheila said...

I love your red blocks. Perfect points!