Friday, July 25, 2014

Summer Friday

How is your summer going? We are having the weirdest possible season ever. It was rainy for a long time, then it was hot very briefly, and now we are having fall-like weather with lows in the 50s. It's been beautiful, which is my official explanation for being behind on everything that I was planning to do this summer (including actual work that I MUST finish). You can't waste weather like this when you have winters like ours!

I have been getting a few things done. First up is one of the red Odd Fellow's blocks:


I think this is my favorite one so far. It's really striking up close. I wish I had more of that fabric, but I used up every scrap of it in this block.

I've also made a bunch of the Dancing Nines blocks, and I'm so impatient to see it done that I started putting them together!
Looks wonky, but really just needs pressing!
See why they're called "dancing" nines? I think it looks great so far. The best part of this pattern is that while there are a lot of seams, very few of them have to be matched! It's a very, very easy pattern. (Available HERE, free!) I also found some fabric with larger cherries for an outer border when I'm ready for one. First I have to figure out what to do with all those 4-patches for an inner border. Actually, the first thing I have to do is finish the center, but that's going very quickly. I'm optimistic.

In a huge fit of productivity, I also quilted up the triangle mini that I made earlier this month:


I straight-line quilted this following the diagonals of the triangles. Sometimes a walking foot can be your best friend because this went really quickly.


 I even put the binding on it! It's completely done by machine, which I don't do very often, but it's just not exactly an heirloom, so I'm okay with it.

 Finally, check out these nifty quilt labels my friend Leanne made for me:

Obviously untrimmed.
How great are those? She has a personal embroidery business, The Sewcial Life, and I'll bet she'd make some for you too, for a very reasonable price. There's a link right here, and she's on Facebook too, so go visit and drop her an email if you want to chat about some labels. (Just giving kudos to a friend here! I get no kickbacks! But I am very, very happy with these.)

Hope you are also having great weather where you are. Get outside this weekend and enjoy it!

Linking to Confessions of a Fabric Addict, crazy mom quilts, and SoScrappy. Check them out for more quilty goodness!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Odd Fellows block is beautiful! And I really like your triangle mini.

Rachel said...

What a striking Odd Fellow. And I love that triangle mini. So cute! Nice work.

Gemini Jen NZ said...

That red block is just gorgeous! So eye-catching. Keep up the great work!

Sally Trude said...

Your red odd fellow is really going to spark up your odd fellow gathering, I mean, quilt.

Marly said...

You have been busy sewing! I love that Odd Fellows block.

Karen said...

I love your odd fellow block. Very pretty dancing nines. I love the black fabric.

Nell's Quilts said...

The dancing nines are my favourite. They are so happy looking.

Leanne said...

Thanks for the shout-out for my business! I love creating things and would love to create custom quilt labels for your blog followers! Have a blessed day!

Leanne said...

Thanks for the shout-out for my business! I love creating things and would love to create custom quilt labels for your blog followers! Have a blessed day!

Sheila said...

Beautiful blocks. You have been busy.

Preeti said...

The Odd Fellows block is stunning :-)
The colors are so bright and happy. I am sharing your post on Google+

deb @ frugal little bungalow said...

you have many lovely projects going on to accompany this gorgeous weather ( i have this weather too / it's wonderful! : )