Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Halfway to the rainbow

Nobody freak out or anything, but the 4th of July is Friday. THIS Friday.

Yikes! How did that happen? This means we are halfway through 2014. Double yikes!

It also means that we are halfway through the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for this year, and Angela is hosting a linkup so that everyone can show off their progress so far. (Thanks Angela!) So, here are the "family portraits" of my RSC14 blocks so far:




First up are the triangle blocks. These are simple 9-patch half-square triangles that I plan to set on point. I've been using the brighter/more whimsical scraps for these blocks. They finish at 6 inches square, so 36 of them (3 in each color) should make a happy quilt. These are fast and easy and use up some of the weird strips I have saved. The two in the middle of the bottom row look very light in the picture, but are okay in real life. Every quilt needs variety, right?


Since I'm using triangle paper to make these, I end up with ten HSTs in each color, which means I have one of each left over. I'm thinking of adding some "mixed" blocks to the quilt also, using these triangles.  I would have enough for four multicolor blocks. I could also use them as cornerstones or something in the border. What do you think?

Face it, we need a new fence.
This is my other RSC14 project, 12 inch Odd Fellow's Chain blocks. These are a traditional pattern with lots of pieces and are simple enough, but time consuming.  I've been using the more "sober" colors for these blocks, with one light (ish) and one dark (ish) in each color. Sometimes it doesn't really work out that way, but I like them all together anyway. My plan for these is to make the monthly blocks and then make one more in either mixed colors, a multicolored print, or reversed values (right now I'm thinking of a black and white block). This would give me 25 blocks to set 5 by 5  for a very nice-sized quilt. I think it's sparkling so far.


Those are my projects! I think they look great so far, and can't wait to see everyone else's.

Happy sewing everyone, and Happy Independence Day! Have a safe and happy holiday weekend. And a happy weekend to non-Americans as well!

Linking to the awesome Angela at So Scrappy, of course!

16 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have looked at Odd Fellow's Chain block many times and thought I would like to make it. I wonder if it would look too clunky in a 24" block.

scraphappy said...

The Odd Fellows look so wonderful as a collection. The colors do all go so well together. The mixed blocks make me smile. I am sure they will find a place in the end.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I like the idea of adding the mixed blocks. All of your blocks really dress up that fence. Those Odd Fellows blocks really show that simple shapes can be spectacular.

Sara said...

Those mixed blocks will look fantastic with the rainbow blocks. And I really love those Odd Fellows blocks - so pretty!

Marly said...

The odd fellow blocks are splendid. They go together wonderfully as they are. It's sure to be a beautiful quilt. The 9-patch HSTs are such a simple design (I didn't say easy!)and I like the look of them on point. I hadn't thought of that. New ideas all the way today.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Simply beautiful . . . love seeing them "on the fence"

Nell's Quilts said...

Your blocks against the fence look like a delightful quilt garden. What a great way to photograph them.

Dasha said...

Just pretty colours in these blocks. They look fabulous against the fence.

Deb A said...

Love how you displayed your blocks! The Odd Fellows really does sparkle and shine. Love the idea of setting those 9 hsts on point. I think throwing the four mixed blocks will add a nice surprise to the quilt.

Sally Trude said...

What a happy collection...so fitting for them to be playing outside. And I'm wondering if the "odd fellow" is the start of something big...

Lisa said...

Wow how pretty they look

Angie said...

Great RSC projects! I am intrigued by the Odd Fellow's Chain blocks - thanks for the inspiration!

Sheila said...

I love your blocks. Such beautiful fabrics. They will be wonderful rainbow quilts at the end of the year. Hard to believe the year is half over.

Andee said...

Your projects are looking great, love the oddfellow blocks!

KatieQ said...

The Odd Fellow Chain blocks are wonderful. That is going to be an incredible quilt. The HST blocks are perfect for rainbow scraps.

Kathy S. said...

I love the brights you are using! Great RSC quilt blocks!