Friday, April 29, 2022

Suddenly spring

 Holy cow, folks, it's the end of April. On Sunday it will be May! How in the world did that happen? Plus, one day this week I got up and suddenly the whole world looked green. The leaves have popped on the trees and we have all kinds of shade again. Many of the trees are flowering now, too. Spring has definitely sprung.

If it's the end of April, you know it's also the end of the academic year, which means I've been really busy this week. All those meetings, all that grading. . .not nearly enough stitching, but I did manage to add the pink round to my medallion quilt for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Have a look:
 
 
I am really, really pleased with this! Who doesn't love pink polka dot fabrics? Plus, if you squint a little, it looks almost like a white ribbon waving around the quilt top.

 
All of the blocks in this quilt top so far are different sizes, and this block is 3 inches. For reference, the yellow round blocks are 4 inches, and the aqua are 2 inches. The actual pink block is above, for anyone who would like to make it themselves. I strip pieced everything and it was super easy, which is not always true with 3-inch blocks!

 
As you can see from the artsy-looking picture above, the azaleas are also blooming in the yard! I forgot about these, really. They're in a part of the yard that we are planning to clear out, and we just didn't get to it last year. I really did mean to cut them down, but it just didn't happen. Oh, well! Maybe this year? In the meantime, we'll enjoy the pretty flowers.


So, that's it for my current RSC progress. I have some of the pink stars cut out, so I'm a little behind, but I'll do those with the next color. Just as soon as I finish this grading. . .

Everyone have a great weekend. I'll be chained to my desk, but I hope that you all have some nice weather and some pretty flowers to enjoy! Here's another beauty from my forgotten garden!


Sharing at Finished or Not Friday and soscrappy for RSC22.

22 comments:

Sara said...

Love that pink round to your quilt. It's just perfect - in shade of pink and that block choice. Great job!

My online HS students have 2 weeks left in the semester. Some will finish easily on time, but others - maybe, maybe not.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

The pink round just makes everything else pop!!
and all those flowers!!! LOVE!!!!

Kat Scribner said...

Wow. Great quilt, Mari !

Susie H said...

Pretty medallion quilt happening over there. Love the "artsy" photos. The azaleas are gorgeous. They would make it hard for me to clear out ... maybe they can just be moved?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your azaleas are beautiful, Mari! And I love how your pretty quilt is developing, too. It's so happy! This is a fun way to make an RSC quilt. Happy (almost!) end of the school year!

Bernie Kringel said...

Your life is set by seasons - I suppose anyone working within academia is that way. Finals, grading, breaks - Once my kids were done with school, I didn't have those seasons anymore. Anyway - love the RSC project this year. It is quite the undertaking Mari. Very nice!! Happy grading and see you on the other side when break starts!!!

Laura said...

A medallion quilt is a wonderful idea for a colour quilt. Love the way this looks. Just made me happy looking at it.

piecefulwendy said...

Our trees are still brown here, so I'm enjoying all your green, and those beautiful azaleas (are you really getting rid of them??). Your quilt is so joyful and happy with those lovely colors! Hope the grading goes well!

MissPat said...

The medallion quilt is looking godd. Is there a reason you need to remove the azaleas?
Pat

Laura said...

What a cheerful quilt!

I am with Wendy...are you really getting rid of the wonderful azaleas? I am jealous! I keep trying to grow them (and failing), and they are a weed in your yard! )

Cathy said...

Your medallion quilt using RSC colors for the rounds is such a great idea! It’s looking beautiful!

Preeti said...

Positively precious, breathtakingly beautiful, Creatively colorful, and Magically Mari!!!
When I think of more, I will send you an email :-D Have a great weekend!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Pretty quilt and love the flowers. Yes once we hit the 15th day of each month I can see the month going fast! Before we know it will be Christmas! Hugs

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow! That RSC project really packs a punch, doesn't it, Mari? SEW pretty!!

grammajudyb said...

Fabulous quilt! So bright, so beautiful!

barbara woods bewtjw@gmail.com said...

Beautiful Quilt

maggie fellow said...

beautiful quilt and I agree one day and everything grew leaps and bounds

Jan said...

It looks great, love the bright colours!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Beautiful flowers! I'm blown away by them, it's still pretty gray here in Wisconsin. Your medallion quilt is coming along wonderfully, great pink row!

Kathy S. said...

Way to make those different sized blocks rock! It looks great.

QuiltGranma said...

A beautiful quilt with a beautiful background. I too wo der why you want to be rid of them!

Susan said...

That is going to be quite a size when its done!

Love the azaleas - it will be a shame to dig them out - hopefully, you can find a new home for them???