Thursday, May 5, 2022

Falling into spring

Hi everyone! How are you all doing? Here's how I am: my husband has a cold. Condolences gratefully accepted in the form of chocolate.

Meanwhile, I've been sniffling with allergies, reading papers, churning out the grades, and ordering books from the library so I can do some research this summer. And I also finally got around to taking some beauty shots of this finished quilt:


Hurray, another one done! I quilted this a while ago, then finally put a binding on it, and then it waited around for a bit until I finally took some pictures. I don't know why I waited so long, but it just got pushed aside in the shuffle of many things happening. Good thing I have it during this really busy week, though!


I took these pictures on a rainy day, which has happened a *lot* lately. Really, you should see the grass! But the clouds and the rain really have made everything green and have made for very bright photos. It helps that the colors stand out from all the green, too.


This was made from a pattern called Sunnyside by Myra at Busy Hands Quilts, and it is all from scraps. A friend gave me some gold fabrics, and I pulled the remaining colors from my scraps. I started it during the pandemic in 2020, finally finished assembling the top last year, and then quilted it this year. Hey, sometimes these things take time! 
 
 
As you can see, the quilt got quilted a large meander in a beige thread to make it stay nice and soft, and then it got an orange binding to coordinate with the oranges in the quilt. Not what I usually go for, but it works! With the riot of colors on the front, the backing is a nice calm beige. This quilt has been washed and is being donated to Mercyful Quilts for Hands2Help. I think it's pretty gender-neutral, it's the right size, and it's definitely cozy. I hope someone will find it comforting.

So that's another finish! And for all those of you who wanted to know why the azaleas from last week have to come out, check out the purple azalea that just bloomed:

 
It's really pretty, but I think you can see how incredibly overgrown and unkempt that whole area is. This plant is taller than I am, and there are no blooms or leaves near the bottom, and all of the plants in this area are really scraggly. It will look so much better when it's cleared. Not to worry, azalea lovers! The plan is to plant some new ones in the front of the house a little later this spring, where they can be seen and enjoyed and won't be choked by other plants.
 
Everyone have a wonderful weekend! I still have some things to finish up for the semester, then I plan to nap quite a bit. And of course, I'll be bringing tissues and drinks to the guy laying on my sofa who apparently has never before suffered like he is right now. Fun, hey?
 
 
 Sharing at Finished or not Friday, Brag About Your Beauties, Oh Scrap! and the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting Patchwork Applique.

17 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Love the quilt so nice and colorful - I feel for you going through the agony of your husbands cold if he is like mine he will be whining for days :)

Jo said...

Hi Mari, as much as I have wanted to help and be part of Hands 2 Help, I am sorry that I have not achieved anything. I will have to say I am not able to complete my commitment in this wonderful event.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Beautiful quilt finish, Mari (and you KNOW how I feel about your gorgeous wild and natural azaleas!!)

piecefulwendy said...

Another pretty quilt that will bring comfort to someone! Such fun to see all that green too - we have warmer weather here finally - and sunshine!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Gorgeous quilt finish.

Kat Scribner said...

nICE finish, Mari. The stars are shining on this one.

sue s said...

Love the overgrown azaleas! For years my husband (who thankfully doesn't do colds) would give me an azalea plant for our anniversary. They don't grow here in southern Michigan so I really enjoyed them as long as possible. I think the bright quilt will certainly be enjoyed. So Happy looking!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is such a pretty quilt! I love yellow! It will surely brighten someone's life when it is gifted.

Sandra Walker said...

Wow do I love your quilt Mari! I hear you on the amount of rain (she says in a glug glug voice), but agree also with the beautiful glowing green grass! I wonder if you've been also having the crazy cold spring that we have to the west of you... I got my second H2H done and posted today! Thank you again so much for hosting this.

grammajudyb said...

I think your blog title makes a great quilt name. Falling Into Spring fits this quilt. Oranges and golds and red with pinks and blues and greens! Love it!

scraphappy said...

Men are so helpless when they are under the weather. Hope that you are able to hide in the sewing room for a bit. The golden stars looks great! Such a fun interlacing pattern. Always fun to play with two ideas at the same time.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Mari! Oh yes, you definitely deserve chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate. I just LOVE this quilt. I am a huge fan of stars and the scraps you chose to compliment the gold fabric are just perfect. Whoever receives this donation will be tickled pink. How thoughtful to use a beige backing - this screams gender-neutral to me. My favorite part is the orange binding pulling out that color from the stars. Great job. Happy Mother's Day to you! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

quiltingbydawn said...

Your quilt caught me eye with the bold and bright colors! I love how you alternated the gold stars among the bright ones. Wonderful finish!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like it!!!
and it looks so striking against all the green....

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

What a gorgeous quilt! Bright and sunny, and the spot is perfect for photos too!
Thank you for sharing your lovely finish, and linking up ;)

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

Your quilt is so bright and happy! Thanks for sharing. :)

Preeti said...

Beautiful burst of brightness!!!
And I am done with alliteration for the day :-p