Friday, May 5, 2023

A small riot of color

 Hello everyone! Guess what? It isn't raining, for the first time in days, literally. Holy cow, it has been gray here. But I'm looking out the window right now and it looks like the sun is out and nothing is falling from the sky. And wonder of wonders, the grass got cut yesterday. I'd say it was knee-high, which would be an exaggeration, but it certainly felt that way.

This is our last week of class, so I haven't had a lot of time, but I did put together a small quilt top from some leftover blocks, and all the rain we've had gave me a couple of really good pictures:


Okay, I don't know whether to look at the flowers or the quilt top! I so wanted to take a picture of last week's purple quilt with these azaleas, but it just didn't happen because of the rain. But just look at them now!


I had these churn dash blocks made, but I never really figured out what to do with them. Do you ever just make something because they're fun to make, but you don't have a plan? That's what happened with these blocks.They're so colorful, and I have been in a "use it up" mode, so I stuck them together into a little top. It's actually about 40 by 45, so it's a decent size and will make a nice donation quilt.


I had no idea I had this very cute border fabric until I started looking through things for a border. When did I get this? Who knows, but it worked out really well with all the bright colors in this quilt top.


I so, so wanted to quilt this up, too, and I have a backing all ready for it, but alas! I had things to grade. With all of the tops that I have piled up, it looks like it's time to have a quilting marathon, too. Just as soon as I finish reading these research papers. . .

I'll leave you with another picture of those beautiful purple azaleas. They're as big as my hand! If you look carefully near the top, you'll find one very happy honeybee, too.  Have a great weekend, everyone!


Sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag About Your Beauties, Finished or not Friday, and the Quilting, Patchwork, Applique linkup.

16 comments:

Rose said...

Love the bright colors in your quilt top. Aren't churn dash blocks sew fun to make? Your azaleas would fit right in at the Masters.

Sandra Walker said...

The bees have been loving our azaleas too, which makes me so happy. Also making me happy is that the sun is out this morning. Two days in a row! Like you, we have had such a cold grey spring and have been growing webbed feet...

Sandra Walker said...

Sorry, totally forgot to say the baby quilt is so happy and I love the border print!

Sharon Tucker said...

This is a beautiful quilt! That border fabric is the perfect choice for these blocks!! Well done <3

Sara said...

That quilt is really lovely, and so springy! It reminds me that I have some churn dash blocks kitted up somewhere in my sewing room. Hmmm - wonder where I put them!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Beautiful flowers! And what a happy quilt top. Best wishes with those research papers to be read.

Kate said...

Such a bright and fun quilt. That border fabric is perfect, really cute. Lovely azaleas to. Ours are all bloomed out for this year. I sympathize with having to read the research papers. Grad Girl had to have all of her lab classes lab reports and assignments graded and final grades in by last Tuesday.

Bernie Kringel said...

Such a great quilt top Mari. Isn't it amazing how great blocks look when set on point? Really cute border fabric too. Love it.

Our azaleas are going nuts right now. The colors are so rich. Really pretty.

ButterZ said...

A very happy, bright, fun quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

How fun and happy! you are right - that border is perfect for it... now.. how to get rid of those papers so you can just quilt!! Does the dog ate them work for the professors????

Lin said...

Great use of your colourful churn dash blocks and the border fabric is just perfect with them. xx

Home Sewn By Us said...

Dang, Mari!! I don't know what to focus on - those azaleas or those adorable churn dash blocks on point?! The azaleas are just gorgeous but the quilt is equally pleasing. The border fabric just brings a smile to my face, while the close-up picture of the setting triangles allows us to see those fun polka dots. Someone will just love receiving this quilt when it's finished. Last week of school already?! I'm certain you'll rock it and then have the summer to enjoy whatever your heart desires. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

Kathleen said...

Isn't it fu when you find you already have the perfect fabric! I love the quilt and seeing the azaleas....mine are a bit later as they are in a shadier spot...but soon they will show their glory too. So glad we are out of that rainy period, too.

Danice G said...

Your quilt is colorful and happy. Those purple azaleas are also. They are one of my favorite flowers.

piecefulwendy said...

What a bright, happy quilt! Love the border fabric!

Raewyn said...

Gorgeous quilt top Mari - so fresh and happy! I love your azaleas, too!