Saturday, May 13, 2023

A taste of orange

 Hi everyone! How was your week? I have graded approximately a bajillion exams and papers at this point, and I have a few more to go, but I took a few breaks, too. Ice cream is the lifeblood of the grading professor. Just saying.

On a couple of my breaks, I managed to squeeze out a few orange blocks. Without ice cream marks on them! So that's a win, right?


This is my lone 9-inch star block for the week. I'm not sure I like it, but I do like those flowers! They appeared out of nowhere in a spot where they have not been before. It's possible that they got eaten in previous years, but I don't know why they would not have been eaten this year, too. Our neighbors across the little stream that runs through the yards have been clearing everything, so maybe they just got a little more sun this year.

The only other sewing I did was make the orange Peace and Plenty blocks:


I just love these and I really can't wait to put this quilt together. I'd make all the other colors now, but that would be cheating, right? If you want to make some of these blocks, you can find the directions right HERE.

So, yeah, that was it for the sewing. Oh well. The time is coming. Instead of more block pictures, here's a picture of a creature I met while I was photographing the Peace and Plenty blocks:


This is a Fowler's Toad, and I don't know who was more startled, him or me. He's not very big, so I'm glad I didn't step on him!

Short post today, but I want to close with a plug for the Positivity Quilt Along, being run by our friends Preeti and Bernie:


You can find more information HERE. I have seen this year's quilt, and you will definitely want to make one!

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone! I'm planting flowers this weekend and hoping not to run into more toads!



Sharing at soscrappy for RSC 23.

14 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the flowers look like azalea's. Here they bloom at the end of March to early April. Maybe there is another flower that looks like them. Your blocks are looking good.
I hear you on grading papers - my sister in law is getting ready to retire and she is so glad to be grading her final papers!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I think your blocks look great! I think some of my blocks look funny but maybe because we don't sew orange very often?! just a thought...

Sara said...

Cute orange blocks, and such beautiful flowers! Hopefully the semester has gone well, and will be over before you know it. This is my first spring with no grades to post or exams to grade. Yay!

Deb said...

Great orange blocks and a cute toad too!
You've been grading and I've been looking, went to a great quilt show yesterday, and after this morning in blog world it is almost time to
get the summer sewing room set up in the kitchen. Happy stitching!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like your orange star, and that dotty orange fabric is really neat! The Peace and Plenty blocks are pretty, too. Glad to see you're getting some pretty flowers blooming at your house. Good luck with all that end of the school year stuff, Mari - you're almost there!

Cathy said...

I love your orange blocks this week, Mari! Sewing is such a great, relaxing change of pace after grading papers (or gardening, or housework, etc). And your new rhododendron (surprise!) is, I’m sure, a welcome addition to the outdoor views. Beautiful post!

Kate said...

I really like that first orange star block, very bold and beautiful. Grad Girl had to have all her grading done last week. Per her accounts grading is never fun, though she said that people finally looking at past graded papers and asking for concessions on grading when they finally realized how bad their grade was turned out to be much more fraught with tension than the final grading.

Jenny said...

I bet Mr Fowler Toad was pleased you didn't step on him too! He's very well camouflaged isnt he. Lots of pretty orange blocks you've been working on.

Ivani said...

Beautiful orange blocks, Mari.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

All your orange blocks are beautiful, I love your Lone Star! Pretty flowers in your garden ;)

piecefulwendy said...

Well, you know I love those orange blocks, but those flowers are gorgeous! We have had several days of gloomy rain, so seeing those pops of color just made my day! That little toad is cute, too!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I've seen Fowler's toads for years, but simply referred to them as toads. Brings me back to my childhood. I'm enjoying the high contrast of your blocks. Are some flavors of ice cream better for grading than others?

Nann said...

Ice cream + orange = Creamsicle! Are you teaching this summer or do you get some timeoff?

Preeti said...

Now I want orange ice-cream - the one with the creamy center. Or mango ice cream, even if it is more yellow than orange. Love those flowers and spontaneous blooms - Hurray. Now only if the papers were graded that spontaneously, you would be on cloud nine :-D I am already on Cloud Nine, filled with so much excitement for the upcoming Positivity QAL. Did you see the color options, I recently posted? Thank you so much for sharing the info on your blog! Big Squishy Hugs. How come we never remember to take our picture when we get together? Too busy talking, I guess.