Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Squeezing a few oranges

 Hi all, and welcome to the last day of May! How did this even happen? Where did the month go? I can't explain it either, except that it looks like June is on the horizon and then summer will be in full swing. Before May is completely over with, I thought I should probably post the last of my orange stars and other orange blocks. These oranges haven't been particularly juicy, but they are certainly bright! 

I did not have a lot of orange, but I did manage to squeeze out a few blocks. Let's start with the two 6-inch blocks for this month:


I made these from the very dregs of the orange scraps, and I'm happy with how they turned out. Look at those tiny flying geese on the right! Don't they just make you happy?

Then I have two more 9-inch blocks for the star quilt:


These turned out nicely, too, I think. I was trying to choose stars that used the fabric fairly judiciously, and I think I succeeded.  I had to lay these in the tree because my favorite branch to hang quilty things from got trimmed away so that the grass could actually get some sunlight. Who needs that? I need my quilt display branch!


The block above has several prints, and I'm not sure how it works, but I'm keeping it. Do you all know about the Sewcialites QAL patterns from Fat Quarter Shop? They had a block a week for free, in three different sizes, and this was one of those blocks. You can still get all of the patterns from this year and last year for free from FQS right HERE. Scroll through and choose the ones you want, or download the whole set. There are tons of goodies in there!
 
 
The second orange star is much simpler and definitely a star, but it wanted a solo picture, too. And why not take it with the tomato plants instead of flowers? Can you see that there are already some tiny tomatoes? Very exciting!!

Okay, now I have a problem. I made a third block that I swear looked like a star on paper, but in fabric I am not so sure. Does this look like a star to you?


Yeah, I don't know. I was thinking that I could save it by replacing the center with a solid piece of the fabric instead of the pieced center, but generally I think this is a loss. Maybe I could repurpose some of the parts for a different block, but this is not looking very starry to me.

Oh, well! That's the end of orange for me, and I can't say I'm sorry to see it go. I'm not sure about blue, but I'm happy to change colors.

Hope you are all doing well and heading into June in a good mood. Over the holiday the hubs and I went hiking in the Catoctin Mountains, and we came upon this lovely vista:


That should carry me through the heat that's coming this week! Take care and enjoy the rest of the week, friends!

Sharing at soscrappy for RSC23

11 comments:

Linda Enneking said...

In looking at the last block, I can see a white star but the orange overshadows it. If the hourglass blocks were rotated an orange star would appear. Likewise the pieces with small orange squares would need to be reverses too.

Sara said...

I think all of the blocks are lovely. I don't see the star in that last one either, but it's still a pretty block. The one with the pinwheel is my favorite.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what with finishing up RSC quilts from last year putting the tops together I hadn't been paying attention to what the color was this year - then I started to see one orange block after another on blogs - I figured it out :)

Kathleen said...

Your blocks are lovely! What a fabulous view from your hike. May went by too quickly for me.

Susie H said...

Your blocks look wonderful and I love the backdrops. Maybe those tomatoes will be ripe when we sew RED for RSC! That certainly is a lovely view. Well worth the hike right there!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Thanks for sharing that lovely vista - we visited Gatlinburg area in 2019 and while in the Great Smoky Mountains Natl Park we enjoyed many of these kinds of views. So calming and peaceful.

Sue said...

I saw the same as Linda- Rotate the hourglass patches to get a star

ButterZ said...

Mmm. Nope can’t see the star. I do like the colour orange but like blue too. Have fun. Gorgeous view.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Maybe a satellite star? I enjoyed seeing all your orange blocks, Mari!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have lots of pretty oranges to sew with, Mari! I really like all of your different star blocks. I don't see the star in the last one - did you ever figure it out? Beautiful view from your hike!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I'm puzzled. I could have sworn you didn't have many orange scraps left, yet with each successive scroll down there were new orange blocks each more stunning than last. Who gave permission to trim your quilt photo branch? There are priorities in life. :)