Thursday, May 18, 2023

Black and blue and quilted too

 Hello everyone! Well, the grading is over and I am experiencing this odd thing called "relaxation." So far I like it, but it's kind of weird. I still have a couple of meetings before this year is in the archives, but it's mostly done. I have a very full summer schedule, but I did plan for a couple of weeks of doing nothing, so I have a little time before I have to buckle down again.

I decided to start my vacation by tackling some of the many (too many) unquilted tops I have hanging. Some of them will require a long arm quilting reservation, but I've decided to tackle most of them with the walking foot. So, here is the first one:


It may not look like complex quilting, but this is a win in my book! Just about a year ago, I challenged myself to put together the black blocks I had without making any more of them. And I did it. And now I've finally quilted it!


Really, I'm surprised I persevered, because this was a bear to wrangle around. It's about 60 by 75, and that's pretty big for me to work on using just my machine. I quilted it in quadrants radiating out from the center where the four black blocks come together. Honestly, I did it this way because I thought that would be the easiest way to wrestle it through the machine, and it did work out pretty well. I used a pale blue Aurifil thread, which blends well with almost everything.


Instead of usng the straight stitch I used the serpentine stitch and I think it turned out really well. The only problem was the turning to make the radiating lines, but the only one who will worry about that is me. It just wasn't possible to make it flow perfectly, so there are a few wonky transitions. Oh, well. There are also a few places where the quilt dragged enough to make the serpentine lines a little straighter than they should be, but I'm going to give myself a pass on that. Quilts can be heavy!


The backing is a fabric from Fig Tree that I got on clearance a little while ago. I don't usually like the taupes and such, but they make great backings. With this particular one, you can barely see the stitches. There are two very tiny tucks in the backing, but I didn't even worry about them because they're so small. Once the quilt is washed, I don't think even I will be able to see them. The binding looks like a stripe but it's actually a very tiny text print.


Now that it's finally finished, this quilt is bound for Mercyful Quilts, which benefits a palliative care unit. I also have another quilt that I haven't quite finished quilting yet. I need some bigger backings! If you are interested in Mercyful Quilts, our friends Preeti and Bernie are running a free quilt along to benefit the palliative care unit. You can find more information and a lot of different mockups of the quilt right HERE.

So, one quilt down, about a dozen more to go! Good thing I like quilting, right? Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. And if you are wrestling a big quilt on a small machine, my sympathies!



Sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag About Your Beauties, Finished or not Friday, and the Quilting, Patchwork, Applique linkup.

14 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love your serpentine stitch quilting - and your thread choice. Well done!

Kate said...

Congrats on a fun finish. Finished is better than perfect, and only you will know what didn't work quite right. Enjoy your R&R time.

Susie H said...

That's a beautiful finish, Mari. Good for you to use up those black blocks. They show up nicely with the pale blue & yellow blocks.

Sara said...

That is beautiful. An awesome use of the dark blocks with light blocks.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Great finish! The serpentine stitch is a fabulous stitch for using the walking-foot.

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

Rooting for you as you tackle that stack of finished tops! I don't have a serpentine stitch on my machine, and I'm feeling a little jealous -- it looks great!

piecefulwendy said...

I hope you treat yourself to a massage after that quilt wrangling. That would be pushing the limit for me, too! You did well, though - it looks great! I'm sure it will bring comfort to someone!

Bernie Kringel said...

Great job Mari!! I like the modern black theme to these blocks. Very cool and gender neutral which is always a plus for Mercyful Quilts! Thank you so much!! You have been such a wonderful supporter of Mercy and I hugely appreciate it!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a beautiful finish, Mari! I like the light alternate blocks that surround the darker main blocks in this design. It's so great that you're finishing up those neglected quilt tops. We all have those!

Sharon Kwilter said...

Congratulations for finishing your quilt. It looks great.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Hooray on the finish! The serpentine stitch is perfect, and I love this tiny test print on the binding. Such a pretty donation quilt.
Thank you for sharing your finish, and linking up!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Yay for relaxing!!! It is a beautiful finish!!

Preeti said...

Fabulous finish and on your own terms. I like the subtle beauty of the grey like the ladies in waiting supporting the queen dazzling in black. Sorry, I got Queen Charlotte on my mind :-)

Danice G said...

Your quilt does look awesome. I love the high and low volume fabric contrasts, and the quilting.