Friday, June 9, 2023

Starry, starry haze

 Hi everyone, and happy smoky Friday! If you are on the East coast, you probably know what I mean. It has been very hazy here from the drifting smoke from wildfires in Quebec, Canada. Today might be a little better, but the last few days have been surreal. Very hazy, the sun looked orange, and the air has been like breathing mud. Oh, and I was out watering the plants and it seems like everything is coated in a sticky film, like a soda exploded and sprayed everything. Just all kinds of fun.

This week I was getting ready to go to a conference, so that was work, but I also made time to crank out a few stars for the rainbow scrap challenge. The color for this month is pastel blues and greens. I don't have a lot of pastels, but I do have a few lighter and brighter greens, so I mananged to make three green stars:


How do you not fall in love with that star on the left? These are 9-inch blocks, so some of those pieces are quite small. It was very fun to make. The others will be fine in the quilt, but they aren't nearly as festive, or as fun to make.

Since this month is about light blues and light greens, I also made one light blue star:


Okay, it's more medium than light blue. Truth be told, there are not that many light blues hanging around here. I think I may be able to find a couple more, and I might make a couple more blue stars, though there's already a lot of blue for this quilt. 

One thing I do have in a very pale (and hard to photograph) blue are these little hourglasses:


I have 32 of these, all untrimmed, and I don't know what to do with them. I thought I might make something small with an alternate block, but I don't know what that block should be or what color it should be. I could also combine these into some blocks, but again, don't know what block that would be. Any good suggestions out there?

And speaking of good suggestions. . .


I showed this block as a failed block last month. Here was the original block:


A couple of readers suggested turning the hourglasses to make an orange star instead of the hard-to-see white star, and it worked! Thanks guys! It doesn't look as first intended, but it will work well as a fixed block. And really, all I did was turn the hourglasses the other direction. What a difference!

And with that, we're off to my conference! I hope to find some more breathable air there, because one of the side effects of this haze has been that I've almost lost my voice from hoarseness. I sound awful, so some better air is a must. Wish me luck with my presentation, and everyone have a great weekend!

Sharing at soscrappy for RSC23.

12 comments:

Sara said...

Star blocks of any variation are just the best. I really like that blue one in particular. Enjoy your conference, and hopefully you get some cleaner air.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

All star blocs are great but so amazing that just by turning the orange /white blocks...the orange star really makes a statement!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Now your orange star is perfect! I love the blue ones, too. The photos of the air quality in the east have just been surreal. Hope you get your voice back for your presentation!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Interesting transformation on your orange star block!!! What a great idea--make a variety of star blocks, all 9"! Best wishes on your presentation!

Jenny said...

That's a clever save on your orange block, what a difference!

Ivani said...

The orange block turned out beautiful, what a difference!
The smoke from the fire was on TV news here, that is terrible. Use mask to filter the air. Any idea how these fires started? I hope they are quickly controlled.

Preeti said...

I like how you often begin your posts with the weather conditions report in the Mid-Atlantic region. Very polite (neutral, non-threatening) opening to your blogposts!!! Nothing hazy about your blocks, though. They are fresh, bright and sunny. Have a fun trip and return home safely. See you soon.

Kate said...

Smoke from fires isn't fun, we usually get a lot of that in the early spring when they burn the fields around town. All your star blocks turned out beautifully. Enjoy your conference, I hope you have better air there.

Susie H said...

Nice job on the stars. I really like the fabric you used in the light blue one as well. My daughter lives in Alexandria VA and she said that the air quality was a Code Purple the other day. Who knew there was a stage past Red??!! She said there is actually a Maroon stage after Maroon. Again, who knew?!? But we do now. Thankfully the fires are under control and the air has blown the smoke out of there. Have a better breathing weekend!

grammajudyb said...

I love your fix! It worked out wonderfully! Light blues are scarce in my stash too. Medium blues are oh, dark blues, there are lots!

piecefulwendy said...

Fun to see all your blocks, but I love that orange block!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Beautiful green blocks - and yes that one on the left is amazing!