Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Positive progress

 Hi all! How are things going for you? I'm just hanging out, watching it rain and getting over that stupid embolism. I am feeling MUCH better, plus I'm glad to see the rain, even though it's been going on for a while now. Unbelievably, we still haven't made up for all the rain we didn't get for weeks, and we're still way below average for the year. It hardly seems possible given the amount of water that has fallen from the sky over the last week.

While I'm lazing around, I'm working on several projects, including this year's Positivity quilts, but first, here's one that I just recently started:


This is the very beginning of what will be a gift for the wedding of a friend and colleague. I love this center part because it's so hard to get gradations in yellows. I'm very proud of myself for this! It's not a hard pattern, so I'm hoping to have all the blocks made this week, so that I can get a longarm rental appointment and get this quilted up and sent off in time for the wedding at the end of July.

Then I have the two Positivity quilts. First are some of the blocks that have the green background:


I just love how these have turned out. You know how sometimes you get an idea in your head and you're not sure how it will work out? That's how I felt about these, but they are turning out okay.

And then I have the fall-themed Positivity quilt:


I have a bunch more of these blocks in pieces, but not together yet. The scrap thing is working out pretty well, though. I'm liking the half-drop in this layout, too, so that might make its way into the finished quilt.

So that's what I'm up to, other than re-doing some travel plans. I can't fly for a while, so it looks like we'll be driving to various places around the country. Not California, though! Still too far for me to drive. Hope things are going well for you. We're expecting more smoke from wildfires, so that will be fun, won't it? I understand it was quite smoky in the Midwest over the last few days, so believe me, we feel your pain. Ick.


Enjoy the rest of the week!

Sharing at Midweek Makers and Wednesday Wait Loss.

12 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your positivity blocks look very nice, especially the autumn blocks! Yes, the Canadian smoke is here in northern Indiana! I hope it blows away soon. Happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we have been lucky to not have the smoke in Arkansas that so many of you have we do have high temperatures and bad storms off and on for weeks though - From what I saw on the news last night you wouldn't want to fly right now anyhow - the airports seem to be packed and cancelling flights one after another - it looked a mess.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

oh that center for the wedding quilt is BEAUTIFUL!!! the raidiation is amazing!!
and yay for your positivity blocks!!!
Hope you continue to heal quickly!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad you are feeling better but keep taking care of yourself. Sewing is the best therapy.
Yes, the Midwest has been hit by the smoke. They said we had the worst air quality in the nation here near Chicago yesterday, lingering into today. It really looked strange. The orange sun setting in a gray sky.

Preeti said...

For a brief moment I thought you said "getting over that stupid enthusiasm" I know I am in the grips of too much enthusiasm, at times. But I don't think I can be enthused enough about all the lovely work you have been doing - showing that stupid embolism that you are still in control. Love the yellows and your beautiful Positivity quilts in progress make my heart fill with joy and gratitude. Lots of love and big squishy hugs.

Quiltdivajulie said...

SO glad to hear you are feeling better after what must have been quite a scare! Your sewing is the best therapy of all (so long as you don't overdo things, that is). We've had bad storms and HOT temps but so far the smoke has not returned (it was here the first time around), at least not yet.

Kathleen said...

All looks good an like you are listening and taking it easy. You did a great job with the yellows and I do love your positivity blocks. I was wondering about how to make them without the tube and you figured it out. I may do one but I will be late to the game...or it may be a donation of one of the many quilts that are made and are "homeless".

Bernie Kringel said...

Very happy to hear you are feeling better. Does the dr think this is something you will have to be careful about going forward? Or is it (hopefully) a one time weird occurrence?
Love the yellow gradation. You did an excellent job there. I look forward to seeing this quilt grow.
Your leaf blocks are beautiful - at least you have loads to keep you busy as you wait for the smoke to clear!

Sara said...

Oh yes - the yellow gradation is really perfect. I like the color combinations you are using in each of those projects.

Kate said...

So glad you are recovering well. Love those yellows, I agree graduation is hard for that color. Your Positivity quilts are coming along beautifully! Have a very happy July 4th.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Positively gorgeous quilts will result from these blocks, Mari!

piecefulwendy said...

I apparently have been under a rock, since I've missed all these posts! By now, I'm sure you have that quilt finished and likely in the mail - it's a pretty one! I was going to hop on the Positivity QAL, but I have a challenge quilt due August 1st, and it's all I've been working on. Seriously. I'm so ready to be messing around with some other projects!