Friday, June 2, 2023

Another dose of Mercy

Hi all, and happy weekend! It has been a warm week here, and today it is supposed to be about 95 degrees. Yikes! It's only early June! We might get some rain, too, which is great because the grass is already turning brown. Thankfully, I have not yet shriveled in the heat, but I'm eating popsicles and drinking iced tea just in case. Wouldn't want to take chances!
 
You know what's a good place to be when it's very warm outside and you really can't be out there planting anything? In a basement sewing room, that's where. So you know where I hid out for much of this week. And look what happened while I was down there:

 
Yes, another finish! Happiness abounds, especially because this quilt gave me a few fits in the quilting process. It may not look like it, but this was a beast. And it took three bobbins to finish!
 

Some of you may remember this quilt from earlier this year, when I made the top during the Stay at Home Round Robin, a quilt along by Quilting Gail and friends. It was a fun project and I got a great top out of it. I knew all along it would be a donation quilt, and I'm quite pleased now that it's all finished and ready to send off.
 

Because there was so much going on in this quilt top, I decided to quilt it in straight lines so that the piecing could be the star. Truth be told, I also thought it would be the easiest for me to do because the quilt is about 62 by 72 and that's a bit big for me to wrestle with. Lines across the width of the quilt was probably the easiest way to go, but that was still a lot of quilt.


The problem, of course, is that this quilt did not have a grid of any kind that I could follow across the quilt, and that made everything extra hard for me, because my brain is very strange and just kept wanting to slide over and follow some seam lines. I ended up marking the first line across the quilt and then using the space bar attached to the walking foot. I still had to wrestle, and I still had to pay really close attention. I did rip out a couple of partial lines and start over. In the end, it did get finished, though. Hallelujah!


The backing for this quilt is a wideback piece with a pale beige leaf, and the binding is the same blue that is in the quilt. Every part of this quilt is a scrap or a leftover, except the binding, which comes from a saved half yard. I washed the quilt and it came out very soft and cuddly and overall worth the trouble to quilt it. 

Oooh, artsy!

This quilt is bound for Mercyful Quilts, which benefits a palliative care unit. Our friends Bernie and Preeti have just started the Positivity quilt along, which also benefits Mercy, and you can find all the details and links right HERE. It's a very cool and easy pattern, and you should definitely join in!

So, another quilt is in the books! Hope everyone has a great weekend and doesn't melt out there! I may wrestle yet another quilt through the machine. I've got it basted and everything threaded up, but there are some chores I have to get to as well. And those popsicles won't eat themselves, either!

Sharing at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag About Your Beauties, Finished or not Friday, and the Quilting, Patchwork, Applique linkup.

13 comments:

karenbbsnow said...

A beautiful finish. The lucky recipient will love it.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is beautiful !!! It will be loved

Nann said...

My studio is in the basement, too. Cool in summer and cozy in winter. Your SAHRR turned out beautifully!

Susie H said...

Great job, Mari! I recognized your SAHRR right off and it certainly did turn out beautifully. Hot here too in the heart of the country. Basement sewing is the best!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Your quilting is a perfect match for your SAHRR!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Fabulous finish

Ivani said...

It is gorgeous, Mari. As always great job!!!

Angie in SoCal said...

I just love your SAHRR. That bird fabric used as the last border is great because it provides color and yet is white to match the medallion. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Blessings,

Preeti said...

I can picture you eating popsicles holding on to the fingers of the Spring, as she must leave while Summer is furiously banging on the door. Your lovely quilt with its sooting colors and pretty prints does lower the temperatures! Hope we can get together soon.

Kathleen said...

I love this finish! What a fabulous quilt for Mercyful Quilts and it will be so appreciated. The straight line quilting is perfect and what a cuddly, comforting quilt it will be! We are back to cool weather, such a slow spring for us this year.

piecefulwendy said...

What a great finish! I take comfort knowing someone else has a difficult time following straight lines on a quilt like that. Been there, done that - still doing that! LOL My mind wanders when I straight line quilt, and before I know it things are getting a little wavy. Anyway - your quilt looks great, and will make a lovely donation quilt!

Kate said...

Congrats on finishing off your SAHRR! It turned out beautifully, so definitely worth all the wrestling during the quilting.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing up your 2023 SAHRR quilt, Mari! Mercyful Quilts will surely appreciate your generous donation.