Saturday, July 15, 2023

Firecracker reds

 Hello all! I am waving wildly, even if you can't see me. Welcome to mid-July! Yep, summer is going away super fast. A month from today we'll be ramping up for the fall semester. Yikes! I think I just had a moment of panic. Here's hoping it passes quickly, because I just don't have time for that right now.

What better color for a hot and wet July than red? As you may know, red is not my favorite color, and I haven't historically had a lot of red. But I do have some, and some of them are quite nice! Take a look at my four 9-inch blocks:


Okay, that is not the best picture. It's not entirely my fault-- the grass was too wet to lay the blocks out there. The stone patio was actually not wet, even though it looks it. Still, those reds really stand out, don't they?

Thankfully, I got some better pictures separately:

 
See? Cute reds. The red on the right is very old and I'm glad to see the last of it. And in my Judy Hopkins block book the block on the left is called Foxy Grandpa. Who could resist? 

And a closeup of the other two as well:

 
These red blocks were really easy and went together fast. I love the one on the right, with the red print. Such a great block. Jusy Hopkins calls it Christmas Star, but its historical name is Best of All.

Astonishingly, that's not the end of the reds! I also made two red 6-inch blocks for a separate project:


Or maybe I'll combine the two sizes of blocks! Not really sure at this point, just making blocks to make myself  happy. You know, it's the little things. (I swear that block on the left is made properly! It's just hanging weirdly on the flower pot.)

Finally for today, I never showed the green and light blue little blocks:


Last month I was very confused about the color, so I went with both pastel blue and lime green. If lime comes around again I'll sub in black or brown or something. Variety is good, right?

So that was a lot of blocks, but that's what I could manage after wrestling (literally) with some very active grandchildren. Where do they get all that energy? As my hubby always says, youth is wasted on the young. They eat like birds, too, so I really don't know where it comes from.

Have a great weekend everyone! I'm working on my Positivity quilts while it rains. I think there's also laundry to do, but that can always wait, right? 

Sharing at soscrappy for RSC23.

12 comments:

Sara said...

I love every one of your red blocks! Red is one of my favorite colors - to wear and to sew with. You're right that some weeks just making random blocks makes me happy.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your red fabrics - I have one box of red but I guess that isn't my favorite either as I have 2 of blue and 2 green. Summer is moving fast!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

You have a wonderful variety of red blocks. I, too, was confused about last month's color so I did brown/beige. :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are such pretty red blocks, Mari - strong and bright for July! I was astounded to hear a teacher friend say that she has to go back to work on August 7th - less than a month now. Teachers' summers go by way too fast! I know you're making the most of it.

grammajudyb said...

Great blocks from a girl who’s not fond of red! I don’t think it matters about last month’s colors. Usually there are two months of green, dark or light, same for blue. But you do you!! And looks like you’ve got that covered! Enjoy sewing this weekend. Anxious to see everyone’s Positivity Quilts!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Every block is a winner. I am particularly captivated by Christmas Star. This seems to encapsulate aspects from some of the other blocks.

sue s said...

These are just beautiful blocks! A little bit different from the "usual" star blocks and I really like them.

Kate said...

You do have some really beautiful reds. All the blocks turned out beautifully. Happy stitching in the rain, hopefully you aren't getting the heat that we are in the south.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Our grandson has just gone home after two weeks at Camp Sefton. Energy?!!!! Holee Cow!!! Your blocks are gorgeous.

Preeti said...

Very red hot, indeed. In my opinion, I would have made them 12" not 9". So much work, so many little pieces - I want a bigger block. But pretty blocks, all the same!

Susie H said...

Speaking as a "liker" of red, I love all your blocks! Nice bold reds! They say that grandkids keep us young but I think they really wear us out. I usually "feel my age" at the end of vacation with mine anyhow! Lol! Hope your week is going well with the Positivity quilts!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love all your blocks!!!!!
And right? How is time goin goes quick!!! My buddy is a college professor and he was lamenting that 4th of July begins a count down for him.