Friday, July 28, 2023

A new building project

 Hello all! Hot enough for you? Ha, ha, ha, I crack myself up. I know we're all sweltering. I think my plants are taking the worst of it. This may cook all my tomatoes, and I think the peppers may be done. The petunias, however, are loving it. 

So this week, sitting in my basement sewing room, I decided to get a start on making a pretty quilt for myself. Like all quilts, this has a backstory, but first, look at some pretty blocks:


Scrappy log cabins! Don't they look fresh and clean? I love log cabin quilts but I seldom make them because I get distracted by all the other fun stuff, plus most people I give quilts to want something more modern. Log cabins just scream 'old fashioned.' Plus they can be quite labor intensive to construct, but you know what? I don't care, because I am making this quilt for me. About time, right?


The fabric I'm using here is all Fig Tree fabric, which I love. It happens that I accidentally signed up for a block of the month from Fig Tree, and this is some of that fabric. I thought I was buying a quilt kit, but I may not have been paying attention when I ordered. Probably trying to do four things at once. To be fair, there was a *lot* of fabric every month, and there were also several patterns beyond the primary pattern included. I didn't make the primary quilt, but I may make one or two of the secondary patterns at some point.


One thing I love about log cabins is that there are a ton of different ways to arrange the blocks, almost as many as there are with half square triangles. I'm not sure how I'm going to lay it out yet, but it's fun playing with the blocks.
 
 
These are 8-inch blocks and I cut them all with an Accuquilt die that I bought from a friend a while ago and have been looking to use ever since. It made things almost painless, but I still got confused about how to construct the block. It looks simple but it can get confusing! I had to watch a video to wrap my mind around it. Right now I have about 20 blocks, and I'm just going to keep making more blocks until I run out of the fabrics I chose. There's more fabric, but it's different from these and I like these colors together. I'm hoping to end up with at least 48 blocks, and I think I'll make it.
 
Yikes! Ignore the tiny threads!
 
All of that will have to wait, though, because we are off for the next ten days or so, heading for the lakes and some cooler weather and old friends. Gosh, do I ever need this! It has been a rougher summer than I ever expected, but here's to some relaxation before everything gears back up again. 

Take care, everyone, and I'll see you when we get back! Let the relaxing commence!

Sharing at Finished or not Friday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, and the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting Patchwork Applique.

15 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love log cabin quilts and I love your Fig Tree fabrics! This quilt isn't going to look old fashioned with these fabrics. Happy stitching and happy vacationing!

Sara said...

I love Log Cabin quilts, and actually pulled fabrics for one earlier this summer. I'm eager to work on it soon - but must wait until I finish a couple of other projects. Love your fabric choice here so I know it will be gorgeous!

Jeanna said...

Those fig tree fabrics are going to make a gorgeous log cabin quilt. I gifted my in-laws a queen size years ago. I need one for our bed...hmmm. You are inspiring me. P.S. I found your blog by visiting Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You shop like I do haha!
These are beautiful blocks and what every layout you choose will be great!!
Stay cool!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are pretty blocks, Mari - I love the sweet fabrics! You definitely deserve to make a quilt for yourself, and a vacation, too. Have a wonderful time!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Beautiful fabrics in those lovely LC blocks. And hooray for a relaxing break!!!! Enjoy.

MissPat said...

Enjoy your vacation. You'll be back at school before you know it and, potentially, it will still be sweltering. Read, relax and rest.
Pat

Preeti said...

Sweet, subtle and gentle log cabins seem to bring down the heat instantly. Yes, it is sweltering but so far I am winning :-) See my hot and sweaty picture on IG or FB. If the tomatoes are getting cooked in the heat, place a pot of water next to them, with pasta thrown in. Al dente pasta and sauce from the tomato plants. All you need is basil and you are in business :-D

Kathleen said...

The log cabins are quite lovely. Fun to work on something just for you. Enjoy your time away!

Kate said...

You picked a very fun color palette for your Log Cabin quilt. Enjoy your vacation, hopefully you'll have cooler weather to enjoy while you are hanging with friends.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super cute new "cabin", Mari!!

Cathy said...

Those log cabin blocks are so fresh and summery! Enjoy your well-earned vacation, Mari!

Susie H said...

Have a wonderful vacation! Lakeside sounds like Heaven to me bc I love water! Your log cabin blocks look great. They are quite a versatile block to play with, for sure. Catch you when you return all rested and ready to go!

Nann said...

Just four things at once? LOL. The fabric assortment is lovely and the log cabins are, too. [Low humidity here and temps at 80. Perfect.]

piecefulwendy said...

Enjoy your time with friends - I hope the weather is lovely and you come back rested and refreshed! Love those blocks, too - so cheerful and summery!