Friday, July 7, 2023

Puzzle on the front, party on the back

 Hi all! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend. Ours was good, but every time we tried to go outside for a while it rained. And so we went inside, and the sun came out. And of course that meant we went back out, and that meant a short but loud thunderstorm. It was a wild weather weekend, and very warm. But it's July, so you have to expect that, really.

Have you ever had a quilt that you wanted to name "This Took Forever?" That is the quilt I'm showing today, though it does include a fun surprise. Have a look:


Almost all green, finished, quilted, and bound! Hurray! I started calling this the puzzle quilt, which is way better than what I had called it before ("stupid green thing" just doesn't have a good ring to it) and I'm so happy it's all done, even if it took a whole year. Things have to marinate, you know? 

Is the surprise that I finished it almost exactly a year after it was pieced? Nope, it's this:


Definitely a party on the back! I couldn't resist these fun sunflowers. They're a nice contrast to all the dark greens, plus they give it a nice shot of color. And you can use it as a mood indicator, too-- sunflowers up means "let's chat," while green side up means "leave me alone." It's a multi-talented quilt!


If you recall, I made this quilt from a picture in a quilting magazine I saw in the library, using every bit of dark green I could come up with, plus a few blues and blacks thrown in for variation. It just about cleaned out that scrap bin, which is all I can ask for from a scrap quilt. 
 
 
What about "this took forever?" Well, I decided not to take it to the quilt shop and use a panto on the rented longarm and instead used a walking foot to follow all the zigzags in the quilt. It took forever, and was seriously boring, but it worked! The border is a set of straight lines, which also was boring but it got the job done.


I used a dark olive thread on the green parts, which blended with almost everything, and white on the text print parts, and then bound it in yet another dark green. The backing thread is a muslin color-- I think Aurifil actually calls it 'muslin'-- and it blended okay. I wish I'd used one shade darker, but what's done is done. I'm happy enough with it.

So there we are-- another finished quilt! I think I may send this to Quilty Hugs. Can't you see someone being cheered by this? And the 'mood' part could come in handy, too. Here's one last picture, with the tree that is about to come down. It's old and hollow, and it might fall any time, so time for it to go:


Hope everyone has a great weekend. We are seeing the grandchildren this weekend! Hurray! Gee, you have one little life-threatening incident and suddenly everyone wants to show up. . .but I'll definitely take it!

Sharing at Finished or not Friday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag About Your Beauties, the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting Patchwork Applique, and Oh Scrap!

10 comments:

Kate said...

I like your alternate names. All of us have had "those" quilts. Congrats on a fun finish. That sunflower backing really works well with the quieter front.

Sara said...

That is a wonderful quilt - and you did a great job quilting it too. I like all the greens with the little pop of blue here and there. And you're right about that sunflower back - just what it needed.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

We had big storms on the 4th of July, too! It made it a little wet and chilly for fireworks watching. Your puzzle quilt is beautiful, Mari! I love subdued greens and blues on the front and the sunflower fabric for the backing. Someone's going to get a lot of comfort from that one!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Beautiful quilt! Front and back. best wishes for the tree removal. The crews here are working every possibly daylight hour following the two weekends of storms (Plus a couple others in between).

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Whoo Hooo!!!
and too funny - A mood quilt!!!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love it, and it's going to be a loved quilt. So hard to name a quilt, the first name made me laugh ;) Lovely backing, and great color meaning! Enjoy family time!
Thank you for sharing this pretty finish, and linking up!

Rebecca Grace said...

"Stupid Green Thing With Party On the Back" is cracking me up. I totally think that should be the name on the quilt label! It turned out lovely!

Nann said...

LOL -- whatever you call it, it turned out so well. The strong contrast between the green and background is great. The unexpected backing was the right choice.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I think "Stupid Green Thing" is a great quilt name. . .It sure tells a story and every quilt has a story! LOL It is a beautiful finish and I like your quilting. Quilting on a domestic machine always takes f o r e v e r!!!!!!!!!

piecefulwendy said...

That backing is perfect for the quilt! I love it! I would imagine it's pretty exciting to have your green scrap bin cleared out!