Saturday, July 1, 2023

Hot and smoky

 Hi everyone, from my safe perch inside and away from the smoky air outside. Yes, it has rolled in again, though not as bad as last time around. While I like barbeque that is hot and smoky, I can't say I care for it in the air. Canadian friends who are feeling the brunt of the wildfires, I really feel your pain! I hope those fires are under control soon.
 
So here we are at the first of July, and I already have some red blocks to show off. Warning, I took all of these pictures just as it started to rain, so the colors are a bit off. The haze and smoke did not help, either, though these pretty blocks shine right through:
 
 
Yes, the red Peace and Plenty blocks. And look at those great red fabrics! I have no idea where those prints came from. I'm guessing they were something I got in a fat quarter sale somewhere, but they look great in these blocks. I don't have much red, but these are making me happy!

I also finished off June by making these fun lime green blocks:


And then, just because the blue basket was right there, I also made three light blue blocks:
 

You can see that I ran out of time and it had definitely started to rain by the time I got the blue blocks out. Those are raindrops on the blocks, not dirt! Plus, light blue is always hard to photograph, but I think you can see them okay against the grass.

Because it's the start of July and we're now more than halfway through the year, I also pulled out all the Peace and Plenty blocks and laid them out:


Somehow I have ended up with 24 blocks, but this is going to be a spectacular quilt. I only count yellow and aqua after this in terms of colors, but I must be missing one. Any thoughts?

And there we are! A good finish to June and a nice start to July. You can get the pattern and cutting directions for these blocks right HERE, if you're inclined to make a few. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend with breathable air, and a very nice holiday on the 4th. And happy Canada Day to our neighbors to the north, too!


Sharing at soscrappy for RSC23

16 comments:

Julie in GA said...

I think the other color missing from your Peace and Plenty blocks is medium/dark green. They all look great together!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for dodging raindrops so that we could see your lovely RSC quilt blocks, Mari!! SEW pretty!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you know those fires in Canada have to be bad for so much smoke to come to the states - we have been lucky and only haze from it one day a couple weeks ago I do feel for all of you when you can smell it in the air.

Sandra Walker said...

Thank you for the Canada Day cheer and Happy Fourth to you in a few days! Love these blocks but even more when I see them all together! We had a slight break from haze yesterday but it’s rolled in again today and supposed to hang over the Great Lakes for the weekend. It must be absolutely horrendous further north and I am so upset for the loss of wildlife and flora. The amount burned and still burning in Quebec alone is staggering. They’ve burned more hectares in the past 25 days than in the past 20 YEARS.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Peace and Plenty blocks are lovely, Mari! They are going make such a great design when sewn together. I hope the bad smoke begins to move on for you - we know how that can be out west here. Happy 4th!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Your blocks look great laid out together. Love the secondary white pinwheel that forms at the corners.

grammajudyb said...

I always have to do the ROY GBIV thing. And then I get confused about lights and darks and how is Blue different than Indigo? I need to call my first grade great granddaughter. She'll set me straight! haha!!

Can't wait to see the yellow and aqua ones! I'm so sorry all of you in the east are suffering. For one, the west isn't burning, YET! Enjoy your holiday! I'm glad to know you are feeling better after your medical scare!! Take care.

Jenny said...

Beautiful blocks, are they quite large? Love Miss Piggy too, I think she is claiming this as her very own quilt.

MissPat said...

Wow, I was thinking those blocks were quite large, but I went back to your post with the directions and they are only 6"? Small pieces to work with. It's a lovely block, but I think I would do fewer blocks and make them larger (not that I need any more projects).
The smoke has finally departed here for now. We had thunderstorms forecast, but had only a short burst of rain. Yet an hour away they had anywhere from 2 to 4" in a very short time. Flash flood warnings in that area. I guess this is our new normal for weather. Hope you are feeling better. Happy Fourth.
Pat

Unknown said...

Piglet...for no reason!! I love it!! We are returning from Florida, I really appreciated the week of sun. Back to smoke and clouds. Anne

Bernie Kringel said...

What a pretty quilt this will be Mari! At least you an stay productive while waiting for the smoke to clear out. I feel for all of you dealing with this poor air quality.
Love seeing Piglet - my favorite of the Pooh Bear characters!

Susie H said...

Beautiful quilt in the making. Good to hear you had some rain -- helps to clean the air, not to mention is good flowers! Hope you have a good week!

Nann said...

Since you began the P&P blocks I've seen them several places. I'm intrigued! Hazy here last week, rain yesterday cleared things out.

Kate said...

Your Peace and Plenty blocks are really colorful. Looks like you are close to having enough blocks to start assembly.

Sara said...

The red ones are fabulous, and they all look so good together. This will be a beauty!!

piecefulwendy said...

That smoke and haze was something, wasn't it? We finally have had clear skies for a few days in a row, now. Your blocks are looking great!