Friday, October 20, 2023

Beauty for a small person

 Good day everyone! How are you today? I'm hanging in there. It's getting to be that time of year when it's dark when I get up and getting dark when I get home. This is no fun, especially because, somehow, the darkness makes people forget how to drive. Get it together, people! We can still see you trying to go 100 miles an hour through the traffic, even if it's dark outside.

Ah, well. Today I have something much brighter and happier to show off-- a finished baby quilt! Here she is:


Look at all that happy brightness. I almost took this little quilt apart because I wanted a print for the alternate blocks, then I remembered that I had looked for a print and didn't have an acceptable one. Good thing I remembered before I started in with the seam ripper. 


I made this little quilt top back in May, mostly to get those very cute churn dash blocks into a quilt top, and then hung it and the backing in the closet to age a bit. You know how that goes, right? Quilt tops have to age before they ripen enough to be quilted up. A friend needs a baby quilt for a girl, so I pulled this out and quilted it up to give to her. A win all around, I think. And Lord knows we need some wins around here right now.


I quilted this in a simple cross hatch, but used the serpentine stitch to make a wavy cross hatch. It looks great! Sometimes the simplest things are the best. The wavy cross hatch is also in Jacquie Gering's Walk book, along with some other cross hatch ideas.
 

The backing here is a fun dot that looks pink overall but is really a bunch of different colors. I originally had pink for a binding, but the aqua with the dots looks much better and goes with the fun owls on the front and the dots on the back. Overall, I am so happy with the way this turned out, and happy to pass it on to my friend to give to a 7 month old baby girl. 
 

With that, it's off to the weekend! Even though we're in this cycle where it's kind of nice all week and rains all weekend, I'm still happy to have a couple of days to rest a little. Hope you all get some rest, too, and maybe find something nice and bright to lighten up the darkness. Happy weekend!
 

 
 Sharing at Finished or not Friday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag About Your Beauties, and the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting Patchwork Applique

14 comments:

Preeti said...

Oh my goodness, gracious me!!! This is so darn cute. I love the colors and the joy it exudes is just perfect. I already have the scraps from the owl/bird fabric. It will be made into equally cute zippered pouches!!! Big Squishy Hugs. See you soon. Will you remind me to take pictures of us?

Sara said...

That really IS a beauty!! I'm sure the new momma will adore it.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I remember when I worked I did 8:30 to 5 so it was pretty much light when I went in but starting to get dark, but not too dark when I got home as we are in the south so it stays just a little bit lighter than for you. I never liked it either.
That is one nice quilt!

Quiltdivajulie said...

That is one awesome baby quilt! I hated getting up in the dark for work – the best investment I ever made was a sunlight alarm clock. It ramps up slowly so that the room is bright when you get up instead of pitch dark - still not fun but at least it makes it easier.

MissPat said...

What a darling little quilt for a sweet little girl. There certainly is a lot to be gloomy about, but there's also not a darn thing we can do about it either. One of the nice things about being retired is not having to drive to work in the dark (or the snow) and not having to deal with the crazy drivers as much.
Pat

grammajudyb said...

What a great use of the scrappy churn dashes! That is a fabulous owl print for a border, Really cute!

Chantal said...

Wow! I love everything about this quilt. The colourful churn dash blocks, the birds in the border, the fun quilting and the dotty backing and binding, everything! I love it. Bravo! ;^)

Kate said...

Congrats on a bright and fun finish. Love that border and backing with those blocks.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

A very happy quilt!!! You're "Get it together, people!" made me chuckle! That should be on those digital boards over the interstate!!!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I so love the line that quilt tops have to age before they ripen! That has been my experience with quilt tops too! Anyway, this one has ripened beautifully and I enjoyed seeing it up close too. A lovely finish!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Sweet and pretty little quilt, perfect for the season, you are right! I love everything in it, the cute border, the fun binding, the pretty backing, and of course the lovely churn darns and doted alternate blocks. I'm sure the little one will love it too!
Take care, darkness and safety are not always friends...
Thank you for sharing this glorious finish, and linking up!

Allison said...

What a beautiful little quilt! The wavy cross hatching looks great, adding a lovely texture to the finish. Hope you did enjoy a restful weekend.

Nann said...

Such a cheerful, fun design -- the backing fabric is perfect. I've become a big fan of serpentine-stitch quilting.

P.S. Nice to see you with Preeti in her FB post today.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Its such a happy spot of color!!! Wonderful job!!