Friday, October 13, 2023

Sandy aqua heart

 Hello all, and welcome to another fine fall weekend. As I write that, though, I'm watching the clouds gather, and I'm pretty sure that means we're going to have some fine fall rain. Pretty sure that will whip even more leaves off the trees, too. Can freezing winds and the dreaded s-word be far behind? I'd like a little more fall color first, please!

This week I worked really hard to get a quilt all finished, but I'm only done with the top. The top is adorable, though! Take a look:


This heart is kind of 'freehand,' in that I just made it by arranging pieces on the design wall, with no pattern. It's pretty easy to make a heart, though I might have messed up there in the middle, but I am going to find a way to be okay with it. It was kind of fun, and pretty distracting, making sure that there was no place where the same fabric touched. I didn't quite manage that, but again-- let's find a way to be okay with it!


It will not surprise you that the aqua to turquoise pieces were cut for a different quilt that I never made. For the rainbow scrap challenge this year, one of my goals was to make something small with the scraps and quilt it up, so this is my "use-it-up" for the aqua month. I am so, so happy to use those pieces, and I think I have just enough for a scrappy binding, too. The background looks white but is really a sandy batik with splashes of yellow and a pale pink. This is just about 44 by 50, a perfect size.


There's another reason that I'm so, so happy about this quilt-- my niece is having her first baby, and she asked for "aqua and gray and Harry Potter." Well, I have the aqua covered, that's for sure! And I also have a gray backing for this quilt, but I'm looking for a way to sneak a little Harry Potter in there. We'll see what fun stuff I can think up that goes with the quilt at least a little bit. I'll probably just have to quilt some Harry Potter symbols into it.


I feel like that's a win, even if it isn't completely finished yet! If it rains this weekend I'll be able to at least baste it, otherwise it will wait a little bit. The baby isn't coming until January, so for once I'm a little ahead of the game. 

Hope you all have a lovely weekend. I went out and took these pictures while I'm waiting for the windshield replacement guy to show up. Something from the road hit the windshield right at my eye level as I was on the way home this week, and it cracked all the way across. It was a little scary! Everybody be careful out there, because those big pieces of glass are really pricey!


Sharing at Finished or not Friday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag About Your Beauties, the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting Patchwork Applique and soscrappy for RSC23.

13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it turned out really well

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is beautiful!!! I like how you designed this!!
So in the part you don't quite like - quilt a large feathered heart!!

Jeanna said...

This is such a pretty quilt. I love the aqua fabrics.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What f you splurge and find some Harry Potter fabric to use for the binding? I love the idea of quilting the HP bits into the quilt itself, though. The Mississippi River here has hit another (sigh) all-time low with this fall's drought conditions - so we could really use some fall rain. Hope yours isn't too dreary.

Sara said...

This is a winner! I really like how you used those colors in the heart.

Kate said...

Love your freestyle heart. Those teals are so pretty!

Kathy S. said...

Very pretty against nature's greens.

Susie H said...

Your heart is lovely, both inside and out! Glad to hear it was only a cracked windshield. Could have been so much worse. It's ugly weather here in the Midwest right now -- dreary gray skies with misty rain and a wind that would blow a skirt right up! haha

Jenny said...

Such a pretty heart quilt. Perhaps you can find some Harry Potter fabric for the backing?

MissPat said...

Your free style heart is lovely in aqua. Kelli Fannin at 'Seriously, I think I think it needs stitches', did a Harry Potter sew along a few years ago and the blocks are still available on her blog for free. You might do one or two of the blocks and put them on the back. Or make a small wall hanging for the nursery wall.
I've replaced 3 cracked windshields over the years. We have full glass coverage on our car insurance and I don't think it adds much to the premium.
Rainy here, too, all weekend, I guess, but we really need the rain.
Pat

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a sweet quilt design, Mari - such pretty and soothing color. It will make the perfect baby quilt for your niece! I love that you found a way to use pieces that were cut for another quilt. It's a beautiful fall day here - cool and a bit breezy, but nice enough for a brisk walk!

Sandra Walker said...

My favourite colour and adding in some HP makes it that much better! It is so therapeutic to just play in our scraps, with pretty colours, right? We had pouring rain and high winds all day long today, probably headed your way!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Use some Harry Potter fabric for the backing. They have one sold at Walmart that is a white background with Harry, Ron and Hermione's faces.