Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Centered and quilty

 Hello all! How many quilts are you sitting under right now? It is seriously cold here in Maryland right now and I'm just sitting here crossing my fingers that someone moves our upcoming big work meeting to Zoom. Too much to hope for? Well, today I shoveled snow for the first time in literally two years, so I'm feeling entitled to hope for that.

I just have a couple of updates today. I know I told you about the Stay at Home Round Robin by Quilting Gail and Friends, and it starts this week! You can get more information about the whole project right HERE if staying at home and sewing sounds pretty good to you. The first step is to choose a center block to start with, and here is mine:



Okay, that's more of a center panel than a block, but I'm using it anyway. I made this a long time ago and I had so many ideas for it, but none of them ever got done. So why not use it now? And can you tell I was really, really motivated to take an outdoor picture? Look at that snow! This block measures about 19-1/2 by 28-1/2, which is kind of big to start with. The rounds don't have to go all the way around, though, so I expect I'll be putting a few on the top and bottom and not all around. Some will go all around, though, don't worry!

The other thing I've started working on is the Dot to Dot Quilting Challenge from Angela Walters at Quilting is My Therapy. Unbelievably, the videos and some of the extras are free, and you can get all the information right HERE

Angela is selling a couple of practice panels, but I have a ton of medical bills to pay from this past year, so I pulled these two pieces out of the closet:
 

 
These have a lot of the same shapes as her panel and are good sizes for me to handle (the bigger one is about 36 inches square) so I think they'll work out.  I basted them and was brave enough to quilt in a couple of triangles so far, and I'm pretty pleased. I figure I'll get some practice and learn a few new things, and get a couple of pieces out of the closet as well.

That's life in the sewing room around here right now. We're going to get more snow, so I had better locate that heating pad and be ready to shovel again! Stay warm, wherever you are!

It's a little windy as well as snowy!


Sharing at the SAHRR linkup at Quilting Gail.

13 comments:

Jo said...

I have been following Angela’s dot to dot too. She makes me laugh. All I have to do is actually stitch something like hers. Your quilts will be wonderful. Have fun.

Kate said...

A very fun center panel for the SAHRR. Looking forward to seeing how you interpret the prompts. I have to finish the upper lower border for my center block and it will be ready for the first prompt. Stay warm, hopefully you won't get too much new snow to shovel.

Julie in GA said...

I'm trying to resist the SAHRR this year because I have so many other projects in the works, but it has been tough. Your sailboats panel is a great choice for the center. I was planning to do the dot-to-dot challenge too, but my panel just arrived yesterday. I have some catching up to do!

Nancy in Indiana said...

Your center panel and practice quilting pieces are so pretty! I really like the bright springy colors when we all need some warmth. Thanks for sharing them!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I like those two pieces you pulled for Angela's dot to dot lessons (I did some of those a couple of years back and learned quite a bit). I didn't buy her panels - I used small pieces I had here for much the same reasons as you. And yes, it is bitterly cold here as well - lots of quilts are seeing action!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

fun panel for the stay at home project -- snow is pretty until you need to go to a meeting huh.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I think it's cold and snowy from one end of the country to the other right now! I hope you get your wish for a Zoom meeting, Mari. I love your sailboats as a start for your SAHRR - they've got lots of possibility for different borders!

JanineMarie said...

Oh, that’s a fun panel to start with, and you can dream about summer sailing while it’s cold. I know snow isn’t always popular, but I love it. If it’s going to be cold it might as well be pretty. Of course I say that while I’m inside, yes, under quilts. Stay cozy and keep sewing.

Sara said...

Hopefully your meeting went to Zoom. That cold and snow moved from here in SD, all the way east didn't it? Today we have a high in the teens, but tomorrow brings more snow and cold. Sigh!!

The boat "block" will make a really fun start for your SAHRR.

Vivian said...

Great plan for your SAHRR! I haven't checked out Angela's latest challenge/training -- you remind me that I have two prior ones I need to work on.


Her challenges are great though. A couple of years ago the Feather challenge helped me finish two quilts! I hope you were able to Zoom for work and with the commute time saved, got in a little extra quilting too!

Bernie Kringel said...

Two great events to start the new year Mari. I debated Angela's dot to dot event but a person can only take on so much!! Love the center block you are starting with - This is going to be a fun QAL.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I think this is a wonderful centre block. I love it! Stay warm :)

Kathleen said...

Oh, that definitely is a fun center for SAHRR! I even think some of the rounds can go on the back! You get to decide. Love your choices for Angela's class. You will have fun and learn a lot.