Saturday, January 20, 2024

Snowy but still green

 Hey all! So here we are in this wintry less than wonderland, where we have been for several days now. I have to say I'm a little tired of it. Everything was closed yesterday because of the weather, and I once again had to shovel snow. Once was a fun novelty, but I'm over it now. Like, really over it.

I've been getting ready for the coming semester, which hopefully will start on Monday if all the students can manage to get to campus and move in, but I did find time to start in on my second RSC project for this year. Here are the two blocks, photographed in the snow this morning:



Those are different, aren't they? I've seen several people in RSC-land who have made quilts with tons of pieces and they have turned out amazing. The pattern I chose doesn't have a ton of pieces but I think it will look cool in rainbow colors. It's called Granny Long Legs, by our sweet friend Preeti. (Surprise, Preeti!) 



This pattern is not complicated, but I'm making mine scrappy so I had to figure out how to make just one block since the pattern is strip pieceed. Once I did that it went together really quickly. It's much less complicated than it looks!



I almost didn't make the bright green block, but I was able to dig out enough of these fabrics to cobble one together. I think the dark green one could have used a little more contrast, but I'm sticking to the scraps I have, not making more. I'm really, really pleased with how the bright green turned out. Better scraps in that bin!



The pattern has 25 blocks, but I'm going to go for 16 blocks and see how things turn out. I know for sure that there are a few colors that won't make it into a quilt (no light green! maybe no dark blue!) but I'm confident there are enough scraps in most bins to make a block each month. 

Okay, back to my reading list! Must write some more assignments to be ready for Monday.  Everybody stay warm and dry. If the snow is going to melt in a few days, why shovel it now? :) (And hey--do you like the larger print? I'm on the fence.)



Sharing at soscrappy for RSC24.

20 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I am with you I am so over winter and I normally don't mind a day or two of wintery weather but this cold has been going on for about 10 days now and I'm ready for a warm up. I know those in the north have cold for more than 10 days but here we don't.
I guess we just need to keep on stitching!

Sara said...

I'm with you - totally OVER the cold and snow for this winter. But since I live in SD, I'm being pretty naive to think it's actually going to go away before the end of March.

Those blocks are fabulous!! I love them.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are great blocks - thanks for the link to the pattern! Your greens look fresh and spring-y against the snowy landscape. I'm done with snow, too, but I imagine it's not quite done with us yet. Have a good beginning to your semester, Mari!

grammajudyb said...

I like the look of Granny Long Legs! I may have to add that to my list of possibilities for future RSC blocks. Soon I’ll be able to cut a plethora of squares! 😉 We have sunshine today and it might be 42 degrees. We had below zero temps for 5 days in a row! I can stand the snow if it’s 25 - 35degrees, but I’ll welcome the 40 degrees and above! I’m like Sara, we will be lucky if winter is done by the end of March! April can be pretty snowy in Wyoming! Yuck!

Kat Scribner said...

What a neat block and I love that it's not square.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Bigger print is great for me who struggles to read the tiny print in so many blogs.

Kathleen said...

That is a fun block. I hope to cut some strips and do a very simple green shaded block...we shall see. Two blogs to write, one for tomorrow and one for Monday have me at a standstill, but I have now caught up on email & blogs from being on retreat!

The Joyful Quilter said...

The larger print makes for easier reading, Mari. Congrats on finding time for your scrappy GREEN blocks!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Pretti's Daddy Long Legs block is perfect for the RSC. I love how yours looks against the snow scene.

MissPat said...

Good idea to get your green blocks out of the way before school starts. And, yes, I'm all for the larger print font. We won't be done with winter until at least late March and sometime early April.
Pat

Kate said...

Very cool blocks. That will be colorful RSC project. I'd take snow over the 1/4" of ice forecast for us overnight. Hope school gets off to a good start and you've got all your lesson plans finished before then.

Dorothy L. Wills said...

Those blocks are stunning! Love it. Thanks for sharing.

Astrid said...

Love your green blocks! They brighten up the wintry landscape. I'm sure it'll look great as scrappy. I do not miss winter at all. I hear from Norway (where I lived) they are drowning in snow and cold, but... mild weather hit and today is back to dangerously icy roads.

Jo said...

Love the look of the snow but wouldn’t want to live with it. Your green colours are very good.
Yes, I like the larger font.

Susie H said...

Love Granny Long Legs blocks! I think you're right -- will make a great REC quilt! Good luck on working on that reading list. I hear your sewing machine calling! Haha! We are currently in an ice storm Definitely no shoveling here!

piecefulwendy said...

Love that happy green against all that snow! We have very little snow, but we've got a lot of the cold. Anyway, those greens just add a little happiness to the winter days. You and Preeti are a dynamic duo! (Is your reading list fun??) And yes, I like the bigger print!

Bernie Kringel said...

Well Mari - maybe some of the snow has melted by now???
The blocks are very cool and will be a fun RSC project this year. Good choice of pattern.
Hope your students all made it back to campus and life is humming along.

Amy said...

Can't wait to see how this pattern plays out. Love the green blocks! And yes I do like the larger print.

Preeti said...

Thank you for sharing the link to the Granny Long Legs pattern. It is so much easier to write this pattern in a crappy way. If I just said - Cut up 2.5" squares and assemble as shown. Two pictures. Done and done. But strip piecing is more accurate and time saving. So I wrote the very time consuming pattern in a way that I would like to make this quilt. Oops, this isn't about me. Love your green blocks. May your flock multiply!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a great design! Love yours in the lovely greens, Mari. Always interesting project to see when I visit you! Thanks for sharing.