Friday, January 12, 2024

Stormy pink January

 Hello all, and happy weekend! Are you having a storm this weekend? We had one last week and it looks like there is another one coming. I'm happy to report that the roof did not leak again. Hurray! The industrial dryers are gone and it is much, much quieter in the house now. The storm left a ton of debris on the lawn, though, and you'll see some of it in a couple pictures in this post. I really need to get those old trees cut down. . .

This week, I sewed! It was great, especially because I put the binding on a bright, happy pink quilt. Check it out:


Does that not shine in the dreary, weak January sun? I am so thrilled that it's finished and that I actually got a picture of it--it's been a bit windy here. We had a huge storm with all kinds of rain and wind and it really did a number on some of our trees. Debris everywhere!

With some of the many limbs that came down!
 
This quilt was made from leftover parts from another quilt-- really!-- and you can read the whole story HERE. If not for the rainbow scrap challenge last year, I'm not sure that those parts would ever have gotten used. They kicked around here for quite a while.
 

 
 The front of this quilt turned out great, but I love, love, love the back! A while ago I mentioned that this could be my favorite fabric ever, and a kind soul gifted me a big piece of yardage. I love it so much. It worked great on the back of this quilt, and I have a nice big piece left over to use in another quilt, too. I am already dreaming of what I can do with it.



This little quilt was quilted for me by Alycia, who hosts Finished or Not Friday, too. The texture is perfect on the quilt, just enough of the swoopy and swirly stuff to complement but not overwhelm. She did a fantastic job! Once this was washed , it turned out even better, all nice and crinkly. 



I am so happy to have this done and to see those weird leftovers turn into something soft and cozy. Maybe this is why I have such a hard time letting go of all the bits and pieces and weird chunks and mistakes. Look what they can turn into! Spoiler alert: I sent Alycia another quilt made from still more leftovers from that same quilt, and it turned out equally awesome.
 
 
 
Everyone have a wonderful and safe weekend! I have to try to get more of those sticks and limbs and stuff cleared off the lawn before the next storm, then I'm planning on cozying up with a nice book in my newly quiet and dry house. Highly recommend that you all do the same!
 
 Sharing at Finished or not Friday, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Brag About Your Beauties,TGIFF,  and the Patchwork and Quilts linkup at Quilting, Patchwork, Applique. And soscrappy for RSC24, too!

15 comments:

Kate said...

Very pretty! Those pinks really shine with the teal! The backing fabric is so pretty and definitely deserves to be the star of it's own quilt. Hope the next storm isn't as bad. Our challenge is going to be the cold this week, sub-freezing temps into the middle of next week.

Susie H said...

Oh, those pinks really do twinkle with the light aqua. Beautiful job, Mari! I was out picking up sticks yesterday in preparation for the next storm also. We're supposed to have very high winds today. I hope to enjoy the weekend behind my sewing machine too. Productivity never goes out of style.

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Lovely, happy finish for cold winter weather. Great job!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congrats on another finish! We had heavy rain this morning (still too warm for this time of year) but temps will plummet tonight and we are predicted to get 8-9 inches of snow overnight into Monday. Time will tell (I totally believe the cold temps but I'm waiting to see if we get that much snow - the parking lots at the grocery stores indicate most people here are in panic buying mode).

scraphappy said...

What a beautiful quilt. That backing fabric is perfect. It does get hard to throw out odd blocks when they can turn into something so charming. Enjoy your nice long weekend. Hopefully it won't be stormy the entire time.

Jo said...

The fabrics are wonderful and it’s a very pretty quilt. No storm here but it’s 38 deg C and it is exhausting..

Preeti said...

Yippee for a non-leaky roof and a quieter home, where you can hear the quiet hum of your thought and the sewing machine again. With this precious pink beauty, looks like you are ready for Valentine's Day. I'll take Galentine's Day too :-D

grammajudyb said...

You are correct! It is definitely a bright and happy quilt. The backing is fabulous! I hope you get to settle in for a session of reading in a newly quiet and dry space. There lots of wind coming your way! We have current windchill warnings! Currently-30 degrees with a feels like temperature of -51 F! Stay warm!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Such a pretty finish, Mari! It definitely sparkles in your January landscape. I love the border print and the backing, too. Hooray for a finish!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I can see what you are in love with the backing fabric. It truly is gorgeous. I could imagine a lovely "tea" dress made of that fabric. Congratulations on putting together a pretty quilt from the RSC "leftovers"

Bernie Kringel said...

Great color combo Mari - It is a treat to see these colors during the dark days of winter. We have also been dealing with loads of debris falling around the yard with the crazy winds happening.
Hope the repairs are happening swiftly. Those driers are about as loud as jet engines. Really awful! At least that part is over. Is the roofer's insurance company taking care of all of the damages? Certainly shouldn't have to come through your insurance coverage? What a pain!
Also, from your earlier post - the drunkards blocks will be a fun RSC project. It is so different from the sorts of blocks I see you making. That will be a fun quilt.
Take care Mari.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I'm happy that the storm is over, and I hope there will not be another one.
Your pink quilt is so beautiful, I love the background fabric too, such cute roses! Lovely color combo, sweet prints for a cozy winter.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful finish!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh thank does looks so bright and happy with all the drearys!! that is a super fun quilt!

Sandra Walker said...

January is definitely a month where we need colour and lots of it, and this meets those needs so sweetly. What you said about leftovers really resonates with me, because I feel the same! Stay warm - perfect advice to stay indoors, snuggle up and read or sew, or a little of both! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sweet quilt, front and back! The first finish of the year is reason to celebrate. Congratulations, Mari!!