Saturday, January 6, 2024

New year, new rainbow

 Hi everyone! How's 2024 in your corner of the world? I'll tell you about ours at the end of this post, but so far it's been a real trip. Over the holiday I did almost no sewing! Can you believe it? I just needed the break from everything so much. My brain needed a massive rest. It was lovely, and now I'm back to my regularly scheduled life. Classes don't start for a bit yet, but the getting ready is definitely in full swing. 

For the rainbow scrap challenge this year I've decided on. . . Drunkard's Path blocks! Giant ones, too. Take a look:


In December, AccuQuilt had a 'buy one, get one' sale on their cutting dies. This was huge, because those things are really pricey and I generally can't afford them, so I treated myself to two new dies. One that I got was the 7-inch finished Drunkard's Path block. It's a departure for me, that's true, but it makes the cutting so, so much easier and means that my blocks will actually turn out.


In comparison to the blocks that I usually make, these blocks are enormous. This makes the curves so much easier to sew, too. As a bonus, I figure that by the time I make 80 or 90 of these I'll be an expert at piecing curves.



I'm pretty cleaned out of dark green, but I do have some bright greens, and I think they made lovely blocks. Each cut makes two blocks in opposite colors, and I did manage to find a piece of dark green that works. You need those darks for good color balance, you know.

Trying to be artsy! Failing!

So that's one RSC project begun! I have another one in mind and I may join in on some of Angela's tiny blocks, too. We'll see.

Here's why 2024 so far has been a trip and a half:


Our brand new roof leaked, and those are the industrial dryers that are drying out the wood rafters after everything on the roof got fixed again. They've been here a week.They are seriously loud and are making me crazy but are doing the job. I don't care so much about the drywall in the ceiling, but I can't even think about the damage to the wood floor without choking up. The insurance guys said they'll make us 'whole,' but gosh, what a way to get there!

Okay, we're keeping a good thought, right? Nothing to do but break out the rainbows and get stitching!

Sharing at soscrappy for RSC24 (can you believe it?)

20 comments:

Sara said...

Oh my - a leaking NEW roof! I can only imagine your frustrations!

Your Drunkard's Path blocks are fabulous! Love how those look, and am planning to make some myself. I just layed out some possible patriotic fabrics for those blocks after getting back from the quilter a Quilt of Valor done with Drunkard's Path blocks. It's set in waves of red, cream, and blue with a few gold stars appliqued here and there.

Kate said...

Oh sadness on the new roof leaking. Surely the contractor for the roof shares some of the liability? Hopefully repairs won't take too long. You've picked a fun RSC for this year. Always fun to do something new.

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, Mari, what a week! I'm so sorry about the roof leak and the damage it caused. I hope they make good on their promise to make good. Stuff like that is such a headache and never fun. Your choice of blocks is a good one - I love to make DP blocks. The photo with the tree branches is very cool, by the way! Will be fun to watch your progress on this!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Oh my! So sorry to hear about the roof debacle. Good you are feel strong enough now to tackle the RSC. Your drunkard path blocks are already looking fabulous.

scraphappy said...

How upsetting! Even if they are able to fix everything, the disruption is so aggravating. Your Drunkards Path blocks look great. I keep thinking that I should try to use dies more. Maybe that will be a goal for next year!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The Drunkard's Path is a fun new project! The roof and house repair - not so much. So sorry you're having to deal with that during your Christmas Break, too. Wishing you some stress relief sewing, Mari!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Hope they can fix the roof properly and Drunkard's Path is a great RSC block!

MissPat said...

Oh, Mari, what a mess. Maybe the bright side is that mold formation shouldn't be a problem during the winter. I hope the insurance company goes after the contractor. I've never tried curved piecing and I'm somewhat intimidated by it. I hope the repairs go quickly and smoothly.
Pat

JanineMarie said...

Ooh, giant curves sounds like fun. Drying out a house—not so much. I hope the recovery goes well. Now I have to go see what the tiny block are that you mentioned.

grammajudyb said...

I just can’t imagine your stress level! Holy Toledo, that’s horrible! I hope all goes better going forward. I like the Drunkards Path blocks. I hear you about the AQ dies etc. I bought a machine a year ago thinking I’d use it a lot. It came with the Flying Geese die, but I really need to order one of the strip ones or squares. It’s what I use most. And I can’t justify the cost! Sigh!

Susie H said...

Oh the last part of this post just about made me sick! I am so sorry. Yes, the insurance guy will make this all right again but in the meantime you have to go through the ugliness of the clean-up. Ugh!! I also took advantage of the BOGO at AccuQuilt but I stocked up on cutting mats. Seems like they really take a beating. Probably should have also gotten some "new toys" though too. Oh well. I think your drunkard path blocks are going to look great! Happy New Year!

Jenny said...

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to read about your brand new roof leaking, what a terrible thing to go through. Im pleased you have some RSC fun to take your mind off things.

Deb A said...

I feel your pain on the roof issues. We are dealing with that up at the camp. The guy who installed the new metal roof Oct 2022 did not do a good job and it has been leaking and ruining things on a 100+ year old house. Sigh. I hope the new roof holds and the loud blowers are able to be turned off soon. On a bright note - your drunkard path blocks are gorgeous. Good luck with the new semester.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I hate that your new roof leaked! What a PITA all the way around. Glad you have the fabrics (and new die) to offset that aggravation.

Preeti said...

Big, Round Blocks. We love them. I am sure this will be a fun romp throughout the year :-D

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Sorry about the roof leaking. Hopefully it will all be repaired quickly. I taught curved piecing at my little guild in November, using Drunkards Path blocks (cut with templates). I used the blocks to make a tote bag. Have fun making your blocks.

Jo said...

Quick blocks for you. You will be an expert by the end of these curves.
Oh, that leak is tough. Hope it’s sorted soon.

Kathleen said...

Love your 7" DP blocks - it is nice to work large and get something done isn't it? I am so sorry about the damage and the resulting noise and construction. Glad you could rest up a bit before the semester begins!

Nann said...

Oh, what a PITA re: the roof. Hope the contractor makes good on it! The DP blocks are a wonderful choice for your 2024 RSC.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I very much enjoyed your last Put a Bow on It post...what a beautiful array of quilts. You must be ever so pleased. And now on to the new year. I have the plastic templates for a Drunkards Path quilt which is on my someday plan. It is a perfect choice for the RSC challenge which makes me wonder if someday should be now, LOL. So sorry about your roof...what a state! Thank goodness your contractor is involved. It will be nice to get this behind you!