Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Let's put a bow on it!

 Hello all, and welcome to my 2023 year-end roundup! This is, as always, inspired by Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs. If you are new here, welcome! If you've been following along this year, many thanks. I'm extremely grateful that you've hung around through all the drama this year. It has been the best of times and the worst of times, in the sewing room and out. A health crisis, a family crisis, and a brand new roof that leaked all made this year extra challenging, but there was also a lot of happiness and some fun quilty stuff. Come on along as we take a look back. . .

(Clicking on the captions will take you to that post.)
 
2023 was quite challenging, but I did manage to finish up 17 quilts, including one I haven't shown off yet, along with 6 tops, a whole bunch of blocks, and a number of other quilty projects, like table toppers and bags or hot pads. My biggest accomplishment, though, is that I now have four (four!) empty project boxes. Nobody tell the fabric or we all know what will happen! Other than that, here are some of the high points from the year:
 
Most comforting quilt

Comfort twice over
 
I made this quilt top in a very sad time for me, and this year it got quilted up and given to the sister of a friend of mine. This is from the Solstice Sampler, a project run for several years now by Amber at Alderwood Studio. (Pattern for the whole sampler no longer available, sadly.) This was such a good project, and my friend's sister loves the quilt. A comforting win all around!

Most creative project


Earlier this year, Sandra at mmmquilts offered her yearly quilt along, with an original pattern for a neighborhood of fun houses, along with trees and all kind of other things. (You can get the pattern HERE.) I looked at the pattern and didn't see a quilt but a series of fun placemats. I made six different house placemats from Sandra's pattern and we used them all summer. They held up really well and were a nice cheerful spot every day.

Most satisfying finish


For the past several years Gail and friends at Quilting Gail have run the Stay at Home Round Robin, where you make a round robin quilt for yourself instead of passing it around. (Information about this year's round robin is HERE.) For the 2023 project, I challenged myself to use up a bag of coordinating scraps I had saved, and I did that. I also used up a panel I had had for a long time, finished the top, quilted and bound it, and donated the quilt to a palliative care unit. All inside of about 6 months! I am so, so happy with how this whole thing turned out.
 
I also donated a few other quilts to palliative care this year: 
 
Happiest finish

Fast, fun, and bright

Baby quilts are always really happy, bright, and fun to make. This year I made a bunch of them, but this simple little quilt was one of the happiest. It didn't take long, but I gave it to an administrative assistant at work who has been very, very good to all of us for her first grandchild. She was over the moon, and later sent me a picture of the baby on the quilt. Can you get much happier than that? 

There were also a couple other bright happy baby quilts this year:
 
The puzzle finish
 
Last year I made a quilt top to clean out my green scrap bin, and this year I quilted it with my walking foot and finished it off. This might be my favorite finish from this year just for the backing:

 
It really is a party on the back! I donated this quilt to Quilty Hugs, and I hope someone is enjoying it right now. 
 
There were, of course, many other projects, but these were among the best for this past year. It makes me feel pretty good to look back, because I was convinced that I had finished almost nothing amidst all the issues here this year.
 
Coming in 2024!
 
Quilting is my hobby, not my job, and I've learned that making goals for quilting just stresses me out and makes me tense. So I have no real goals! This year I cleaned out a lot of things (four empty project boxes!) and I guess I'll continue with that. If I cleaned everything out, though, what would I do?  I did sign up for the Dot to Dot Free Motion Quilting Challenge at Quilting is my Therapy (unbelievably, this is free!), and I'll probably make another round robin quilt, and some more baby quilts, but otherwise I just want some fun and relaxation and a respite from the rest of my hectic life.

Blue times two

This brings 2023 to a close for me! Let's wrap it up nicely and put a bow on it, and turn toward a healthier and happier new year. Here's wishing you full bobbins, unbreakable thread, even stitches, and a new year filled with peace and joy. See you when the future gets here, everyone!
 


Linking up with Cheryl's Best of 2023 linky party and maybe a few others, too.

24 comments:

Jo said...

Good on you Mari for moving along. My year has been up and down but hopefully 2024 will be better and more productive. Motivation is an issue. I do love the work you complete. Stay safe over the festive season.

karenbbsnow said...

You definitely had a productive year. I agree with your philosophy of quilting being a hobby for enjoyment, stressing over goals rather ruins the fun.
Looking forward to seeing your projects in the coming year.

Kate said...

In spite of all the challenges this year, you did really well on the finishing up front. Empty project boxes is always a nice outcome. Hope that 2024 is much less stressful on the health and family fronts.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looks great so many finished quilts!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Mari, I loved this trip through so many of your 2023 finishes. It's hard to pick a favorite, but it might be Scraps All Day. Wishing you a New Year that includes lots of quilting, and way less stress! ❤️

Sara said...

What a gorgeous parade of finishes for 2023! Every single one of them is beautiful. It's funny how different we all operate - I'm stressed WITHOUT a list of goals.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Fun to see your review of your quilts of 2023, Mari!!! That summer solstice is stunning along with comforting! Great idea to make placemats! And I agree--baby quilts are the most joyous to make!!! Happy new year!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wonderful wrap up for a tough year for you. Thank you for sharing. I don't make any goals either as it takes the performance pressure off. I just focus on keeping cutting, sewing and quilting no matter what.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

It sounds like quilting helped you through the year, and I'm glad that you were able to find so much solace through it. May 2024 be a more mild and even keeled year for us all.

smithcindyk said...

I always love seeing what you create! Thanks for inspiring me.

Debbie said...

What a beautiful collection of quilts!

barbtaz said...

A wonderful wrap up! I really enjoy your blog. Happy New Year!
Barb

MissPat said...

Mari, you've had a productive year despite the ups and downs. Here's to a happier, healthier New Year and more empty project boxes.
Pat

eileen said...

Congrats on getting through a tough year, and productive as well! I see some very pretty quilts there!!

Celine said...

Lots of lovely projects, well done

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

"If I cleaned everything out, though, what would I do?" HAHAHAHA! You'd buy more fabric and start more projects, that is what you'd do! : )

Tammy said...

Four empty project boxes!?! I'm so impressed!

I like your idea of not adding a bunch of goals (ie. stress) into your quilting life.

I love reading your blog and seeing the beautiful quilts that you make.

Karen's Korner said...

Congratulations on your beautiful work.

piecefulwendy said...

What a year - so many lovely quilts. I'm amazed at what you get done, all while you are working. Like you, making plans makes me tense, and I get stressed if I don't get done what I say I will. So just leaving it loose works well for me - I hope it does for you too! Happy New Year!

Cheryl said...

Congrats on such a productive 2023, such beautiful quilts! Thanks for linking up with the Best of 2023.

Susie H said...

Congratulations on clearing out FOUR project boxes last year! That is cause for celebration. Looking forward to seeing what 2024 brings for you. Happy New Year!

Preeti said...

Lots of bright and happy projects. Many scraps rescued and repurposed. Crises managed, quilts gifted and charities supported. I think we need a bigger bow :-) Wishing you lots of creativity and drama-free sewing time in the new year. Big Hugs.

JanineMarie said...

I truly think that quilting is super therapeutic for you. How else would you explain how many wonderful quilts you made to bless others (and yourself) in a year that held so many stressors? I am in awe. Seeing your stay-at-home Round Robin reminded me that I was going to check that out this year. Thanks for including the link. Have a much more relaxing year even if it is just as productive.

dq said...

Mari, sorry you had some difficult times in 2023. It is great that the sewing room could be a place of peace.
You accomplished so much, and everything you listed is finished and beautiful. If you can accomplish that much without setting annual goals, then you don't need to set them.